Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Its true.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #33 
CTBettaLover

Hello everyone! Thankyou for all of the positive helpful feedback. I have decided to start a sorority of female bettas and bought a 5g for them. I then realized that this would be too small so although my betta and molly got along just fine and didnt pay any mind to eachother, I put Stanley in the 5g. He is with 3 ghost shrimp as his cleanup crew although he's a little pig and probably doesnt need one. He searches the bottom for anything to munch on. I have to purposefully sink some mini betta pellets for them into a dense plant that they hangout in for them to get something to eat. They get along just fine and the shrimp have plenty of hiding places. The 5g is heated and filtered with a homemade buffer to stop the current. Stanley is so happy now he is blowing huge bubble nests.

Now on to the 10g. I still have my adorable 2.5in female Molly. Molly is her name. Creative right? She is in with the 5 female bettas and 3 corydoras. I realize this is a bit cramped but I plan on upgrading to a 20 long when I get the funds. (ChocolateBetta you can rest easy now lol). I change their water 2 times/week. 30% midweek and 50% with gravel siphon on the weekends. My females have already established their pecking order and there has been no recent nipping or fighting. The molly did chase them around a bit at first (unlike with my male betta) but she never nipped and is now buddies with them. All of their fins has grown back nicely from the initial nipping when setting up territories and pecking order. Their tank is densely planted with lots of hidey holes. They have a 4-5in airstone that gets turned on occassionally. They love swimming up and down and all around the tiny bubbles. The tank is filtered and kept at a temp of 78-79*F. They get fed a mixed diet of floating mini betta pellets which the molly eats as well, tropical fish flakes for Molly, sinking shrimp pellets for the corys although all of the fish seem to love them, algae wafers which surprisingly all of the fish love, and frozen brine shrimp which ofcourse all of the fish gobble up happily.

All of my fish seem very happy and are getting along swimmingly;) lol. They have clean heated water, their own individual territories, and a well rounded nutritional diet. My molly seems so happy that I think she may be about to give birth! This will be a whole new adventure for me. I will have to take the babies to the petstore or sell them some other way. I wish I could keep them all and watch them grow up! ^.^ But unfortunately I cant as I do not have the space for another tank as of right now. I am going to attach a picture of Molly so that one of you might be able to assist me in figuring out whether she really is prego or just a lil chunky. Again thank you all for all of your help and interest in my thread. <3 Namaste

EXPS Redirector
Attached Images

Last edited by CTBettaLover; 11-30-2012 at 06:02 PM.
CTBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #34 
CTBettaLover

By the way, I only have the one female molly so she must have gotten pregnant at the petstore or was storing some genetic material from a previous "interaction" with a male at the petstore. I know that mollies will not give birth unless they are happy eg good water conditions and a feeling of security. So I must be doing something right! All of my fish get lots of loving care and attention. My family actually makes fun of me for how I treat my fish like any other more intelligent pet. Oh well! They just dont get it. They arent "just" fish! Theyre my babies and I love them and want them to have long healthy happy exciting lives.
CTBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I will rest easy.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #36 
Myates

Awesome tanks, great job :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #37 
ChoclateBetta