Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2008, 06:04 AM   #1 
cnolan001

Vacation Feeding

Hello Betta Lovers
My friend, Shadow lives in his 1 gallon round bowl with his friend Iggy the snail, I will be leaving for a week and was wondering if there was something I can give him to eat or should I get a fish sitter for them. He eats dried bloodworms and my fingers...lol, and Iggy eats tropical flakes. Please advise

Thanks,
Cindy
cnolan001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #2 
Pasfur

Personally, i would not feed the fish during this 1 week period. Especially if you can feed on the day you leave and again when you get home, actually only missing 5 days of feedings.

If you do decide to have a fish sitter while you are away, only have them feed 2 times in your absence. Also, pre-measure feedings into small dixie cups and hide the fish food!!!
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:29 AM   #3 
cnolan001

Vacation Feeding

I was not sure about him not eating for a few days. Should I start cutting back on his food before I leave so that he does not starve.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #4 
Meatpuppet

does he only eat dried bloodworms?? those are meant for a (once or twice a week) treat and should not be the substitute for the flakes/pellets that should be the staple in his diet. they dont have the proper nutrition and if you feed him only bloodworms, he will get constipated, get dropsy, and die.

you can just keep feeding the same amount until your leave but just before give him a little bit of a bigger meal, same when you come back.

and the fish sitter adive Pasfur gave you is exelent. it may be the only thing you can do unless you go and pay though the nose for a auto fish feeder. i do agree put out one day portions in cups and hide the food good so your buddy doesnt entertain him/herself wathcing a fish eat
Meatpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #5 
cnolan001

Vacation Feeding

Thanks. He also gets flakes with his diet, but he loves the worms. when I got him thats what the girl was feeding him all the time. He seems to have good bowel movements and is not slugish at all, in fact, him and I play all most all day long. He gets mad when I don't talk to him when I pass him...lol He loves to bite my fingers.

Thanks again,
Cnolan