Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #1 
mstenorsaxplayer

Gas Bubbles?

I have been trying new ways to clean Lil Sano's tank to avoid Gas Bubbles. Of course he is not in the tank I am playing around with. Anyone wanna share how they handle and prevent gas bubbles? I heard someone say if you pop the bubbles and stir the water than it should be okay to put in the tank in like 5 minutes. I don't know how true that is because I am not a very sciency person.
mstenorsaxplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Not sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the tiny bubbles you see in fresh tap water or the possible gas pockets in the substrate. What size tank? Filtered? I have 5 tanks & I syphon vac then add the water. Sometimes i'll have bubbles from the tap water in my 46g because i use a water changer but i just let them be & they go away on their own. When I use a small 1g tank with no filter I let the new water sit out over night & then I have no bubbles in the water. When I vacuum I push the vac all the way down into my gravel which would take care of any pockets. Not sure I answered your question.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are you talking about bubbles on the sides of the tank, or bubbles in the sand/gravel on the bottom?

If the gas bubbles are just air bubbles on the sides of the tank, then you don't really need to pop them. They'll dissipate on their own. And since they're just "air," they won't be harmful to your fish. If you don't like they way they look, you could just wipe down the sides of the tank. I keep bottles of pre-treated water for refills, and I don't seem to have a problem with bubbles. I'd guess that water straight from the tap would have more of them.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #4 
sainthogan

I too am assuming you are talking about the air bubbles that come out of tap water. They are harmless. Unless you have some really weird issues going on with your water, where the city tells you not to use your tap water for anything because it's been contaminated. Otherwise, not an issue.
If I had to pop all the air bubbles in my water before I put it in my tank, it would take me hours to do a water change - there is so much air in our water, it doesn't even look clear anymore, but it's perfectly safe.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 
mstenorsaxplayer

Sorry, I should have been more specific. These bubbles sometimes for own the stones and on everything inside the tank. I can't upload a pic right now or I would. They form within an hour or so after I clean the tank.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Those are also air bubbles, and are also perfectly safe. Often rocks and things have air pockets and when the water settles, they force the air out of the pockets and little air bubbles form, especially if you are performing 100% water changes. My little tank (before I knew any better) got those too when I did complete water changes, and my girl ignored them, so your fish probably will too.
Nothing at all to be worried about
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #7 
mstenorsaxplayer

Naw, those were gas bubbles because I wasn't aging the water. After I age it for about 24 hours its all good.