Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Questions about new heater..

I just got one of my 25 watt Hydor Theo heaters in the mail today and placed it in my newest betta's tank. I have a few questions..

1: How long does it usually take to heat the tank? (It's a 5.5 gal at about 70 degree room temp)
2: How slowly should I adjust the temp? I'm raising it from about 70 to 78 degrees. (So like, 1 degree per hour or half hour)
3: I haven't taken him out of the tank. How long should I sit and monitor the temp before it's safe to go to sleep? Should I remove him from the tank? Or, should I only set it for about 74 degrees tonight to make sure it doesn't overheat? I know that the temp on the heater isn't always 100% accurate.

It's been in there for about an hour and the temp has raised about one degree (it's set at about 74), give or take, but I was wondering if it starts heating slowly and then jumps? Or does it usually raise the temp pretty gradually? I also have the heater positioned vertically beside the filter so I can reach the dial, but plan on repositioning it horizontally beneath the heater after I get the temp to where I want it.

I know it's a lot of questions but I have never dealt with a heater before and I don't want to do anything wrong.

So far, he doesn't seem to be acting strangely. He's just curious about the new heater and thermometer in his tank.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #2 
shinitakin

Hi there, I have the Hydor in my one gallon, so I'm going to assume that it will raise the temperature of your tank more slowly. I think you can just directly set the dial to 78 and the heater should slowly bump the water temperature up. The change should be gradual enough for your betta. :) I've been using the Hydor for about three weeks and it's always been fairly accurate, only 1-2 degrees off at most. I think it should be alright if you reposition the heater, that way, the heat can be spread more evenly throughout the tank water.
shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you! I have heard many great things about the Hydor.
I have to work tomorrow and don't want to go to sleep without being able to check on the water temp, so I'll probably be awake for another three hours xD I just want to make sure because I don't want to cause any harm to my little guy.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 
shinitakin

Ah, yes. Even though I've only had it for three weeks, I've got to say that it's wonderful about keeping the water temperature steady and always seems to heat the water gradually to not bother the fish.

Also, just a side note, the reading on your thermometer may be different if it's right by the heater vs if it's on the other side of the tank.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I know. I've been moving the thermometer around a bit. Right now its in the part of the tank that he usually spends all his time on.. the front top side, directly across from the heater. It reads 72 degrees now. It's been an hour and a half, but I know it'll probably be a bit warmer than that on the other side.

The only thing is I know it probably won't get to exactly 78 degrees if I set it at that. I may need to set it higher than that since it's a bit larger tank, but I'll wait and see where it eventually stops at..

He's been in 68-70 degree water since Tuesday (actually even longer since he was at room temp at the pet store) so I don't think leaving it at 75 degrees for now will hurt him any.

I'm more concerned about acclimating my other betta to a warmer temp because he's been at room temp for a year. He endured last winter, and since the tanks are in the basement it gets kind of cold. My new betta isn't fully grown yet.. He's significantly smaller than my other betta.

I can't wait to see how much he brightens up in the warmer water. He's already very bright! :)
Old 12-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #6 
shinitakin

Yeah, every heater (even if it's the same model) is a little different. Just play around with the dial a bit to see the temperature your water hits.

:) I'm sure your betta will be a lot happier with the warmer water! Mine brightened up right away after hitting the ideal temp.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

I am sure looking forward to it :) Thank you!