Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #161 
Setsuna
Member
 
Setsuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
The parents was breed in a 5.5 gal so they still in the 5.5 im going to move them to a 10g soon. Theres about 100+ in there
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #162 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Ah okay. Good luck with raising them all. The species I keep tend to spawn very frequently but not have as many fry as the splendens bubblenesters.

I usually move mine into a 3.5 gallon tank doing 50% water changes every second day. Then once they get big enough I move them into a 7 gallon and then 10 gallon tank. I lost two whole batches of channoides once when I moved them too soon and was too slack with dripping the water in. Got a lot more patience nowadays!

Just found two more fry in with my rutilans pair so that brings my current total up to 10. Hopefully there are more so I can scoop them up and grow them out.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #163 
babystarz
Member
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Potentially exciting news, my dominant male albimarginata, Cinnamon, might be holding eggs. I saw him and the dominant female couple up a few times right in the front of the tank, then Cinnamon disappeared and she followed him, and then she returned and started chasing the non-dominant male, Nutmeg, away from the left side of the tank, guarding Cinnamon. Cinnamon had disappeared with Ginger, the shy female XD After this his behavior changed a lot, he stayed hidden in the plants and his cheeks look a bit puffy. I expect he'll swallow any eggs, this being the first time he's had any, but we'll see.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #164 
babystarz
Member
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
I finally have some pics!

This is Ginger, my shy albimarginata female. She was completely translucent until this week, when she suddenly developed lots of spots on her fins. I think they're super cool-looking. She looks very different from my dominant albimarginata female:


Another pic of Ginger, you can see how clear her body is:


Ginger with the two albimarginata boys, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. Nutmeg is opening his mouth at Cinnamon in a territorial display. Usually it's the other way around:


Cinnamon in full dress:


This is Spice, the dominant female albimarginata. I had trouble getting a good pic of her:


Cinnamon is in the middle, Ginger is on the left, Spice is on the right:


And the 4 imbellis being clowns. They refuse to hold still for pictures:


And Mr. Smaragdina popped out to say hi. Ignore his algae-tastic tank >.<

Last edited by babystarz; 11-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:02 AM   #165 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Great pics. Thanks.

I thought your smarigdina was more bluish with red. Where did I get that idea? From what I can see, he looks just like mine.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #166 
Setsuna
Member
 
Setsuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I finally have some pics!

This is Ginger, my shy albimarginata female. She was completely translucent until this week, when she suddenly developed lots of spots on her fins. I think they're super cool-looking. She looks very different from my dominant albimarginata female:


Another pic of Ginger, you can see how clear her body is:


Ginger with the two albimarginata boys, Cinnamon and Nutmeg. Nutmeg is opening his mouth at Cinnamon in a territorial display. Usually it's the other way around:


Cinnamon in full dress:


This is Spice, the dominant female albimarginata. I had trouble getting a good pic of her:


Cinnamon is in the middle, Ginger is on the left, Spice is on the right:


And the 4 imbellis being clowns. They refuse to hold still for pictures:


And Mr. Smaragdina popped out to say hi. Ignore his algae-tastic tank >.<
You should cross your imbellis with your smaragdina and see how the frys turn out id love to see
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #167 
babystarz
Member
 
babystarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Great pics. Thanks.

I thought your smarigdina was more bluish with red. Where did I get that idea? From what I can see, he looks just like mine.
Oh yeah, that was me, he's just taken his sweet time coloring up. The red is new :P So far the red is mostly just splotches on his fins, but I have a feeling it might extend onto his body. When he's in a good mood his body currently looks like it's got a solid blue iridescence scalloping his scales, like a pineapple effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsuna View Post
You should cross your imbellis with your smaragdina and see how the frys turn out id love to see
If I knew I could find them homes I might try that, but I've got no use for hybrids myself so I guess that's something to think about in the future once I've got an actual base of people who like to buy fry from me.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #168 
Setsuna
Member
 
Setsuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
Oh yeah, that was me, he's just taken his sweet time coloring up. The red is new :P So far the red is mostly just splotches on his fins, but I have a feeling it might extend onto his body. When he's in a good mood his body currently looks like it's got a solid blue iridescence scalloping his scales, like a pineapple effect.


If I knew I could find them homes I might try that, but I've got no use for hybrids myself so I guess that's something to think about in the future once I've got an actual base of people who like to buy fry from me.
Im sure users/members here would want some
Setsuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #169 
dragon tamer
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: seattle area
you could call them dragons ! LOL

I had a pair of pugnax years ago that I know folks are not very into but...
I think this is mostly due to the fact that they need to be in breeding condition to show their true beauty. If I had a digital photo of them I would post it but it was before all that at least in my life so All I have are film photos. When in breeding condition both the male and the female colored up with the softest sky blue to mint green metallics over tan to russet colored base with dark accents of charcoal around the face and fins. They were gorgeous not only in color but the shape and pattern on the fins as well. add to that they were really hardy, stable in personality once they settled in and I never had an issue with them jumping( that was the pi , Lost everyone of them, they were horribly nervous and either jumped or wedged themselves into a jam so they couldn't breath and died. Not very attractive either.) To make things worse they were fantastic spawners to the point that they had to be separated to keep the female from killing the male with starvation. I wish I had had this resource and that I could have obtained more males. I am setting up a tank this week for a trio as i have found a source for them and will be ordering them as soon as i return home from NY next week. I'll get pics up as soon as I have them in color so you can see what I mean about the colors and patterns. I really love the splendens complex and macrostoma are intriguing to me but pugnax and the related rajan are the most captivating to me .
dragon tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #170 
Hallyx
Reference Team
 
Hallyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fungus corners
Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
When he's in a good mood his body currently looks like it's got a solid blue iridescence scalloping his scales, like a pineapple effect.
You mean like this?
Attached Images
 
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wild Bettas.... BettaSCHmacK Betta Fish Care 2 08-14-2013 01:34 AM
Wild Bettas Banicks Betta Fish Care 15 10-20-2011 08:27 PM
Wild Bettas? Johnificent Betta Chat 7 05-01-2011 03:58 PM
Wild species of Betta, Unimaculata Astro277 Betta Fish Care 0 11-29-2010 10:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.