Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #1 
BettaPirate

Cool Not a typucal betta...

So my betta does so many weird things, many of which I have read bettas don't like, maybe it's because he is not a wild betta or maybe his name "Jack Sparrow" is just fitting because he is so unusual.

First, I read that betta don't like currents, well I use an air stone with air pump anyway because the extra air in the water helps him stay more mobile. It does not bother him one bit and I have found him surfing the bubble current on the top of the tank on many occasions LOL! He goes right up to the top of the tube and rides the bubbles out to the side and then darts down tot he bottom and back up, weirdo!

Secondly, he begs at the top of the tank for food like a dog! Not just swimming up and waiting he will swim right into the wall of the tank at me until he gets my full attention and then he bobs up and down at the top until I feed him. I have to be very careful not to overfeed him so sometimes I just have to leave the room until he stops, I'm afraid he'll knock himself out hitting the side of the tank like that.

And last, everytime he wakes up after sleeping he will circle the tank, flare about 5 times, bite the snowman's carrot nose, and then look out the side to find me. It cracks me up!!!

Does anyone else's betta do weird things like this?
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #2 
whatsupyall

Sounds normal to me, except the oxygen part as I don't use it for my bettas. Perhaps he is mistaking it for food or think it is a sign of feed-time. He's seems to be really into the food you are feeding him. Good job.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #3 
sainthogan

My girl begs for food too. And if I'm not fast enough, she starts jumping. She has jumped out of her tank once I think chasing a fruit fly (I don't know for sure because I didn't see it and found her at least a half an hour after she jumped.) Since then she's almost jumped out through her feeding hole when she gets impatient during feeding. Every hole is covered but if I've taken too long getting her food, as soon as I open her makeshift lid, she'll start jumping. She's lost many scales on the top of her head this way.
She also loves it when I pour new water in after I've cleaned her tank. She'll position herself underneath the flow until it pushes her to the bottom, then she'll swim back up to the top.
Her newest thing she does is to break off pieces of her plants then chase the broken pieces around her tank. She doesn't eat them, just chases. I have seen her do this twice now.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

My one betta, Spartan, used to put his nose to the surface of the water when he wanted food, and do a wiggle dance My new bettas, Phantom Menace, unnamed dumbo, and a cambodian crowntail female, all zoom back and forth almost in sync tonight when I went to feed them!

Some of my younger bettas love the current from filters.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #5 
BettaPirate

I guess I have just never seen fish with such personalities. I only ever had Goldfish growing up and they were just kind of boring, swam, ate, and pooped LOL!
Old 12-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #6 
twolovers101

If Shosta sees me leaning over the tank like I'm about to feed him, he holds perfectly still and watches me and gives me puppy dog eyes until I feed him xD
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

I love bettas for that reason. each one has their personalities. Actually, I just tend to get animals of any sorts that have personalities. I love it! Never a boring day in my life.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #8 
rubinthebetta

Rubin will stick his head out of a "window" in his cave decoration and Maggie poses for pics. She is a total ham!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #9 
BettaPirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I love bettas for that reason. each one has their personalities. Actually, I just tend to get animals of any sorts that have personalities. I love it! Never a boring day in my life.
yeah me too, all my cats have had very STRONG personalities and super sweet snugglers
Old 12-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #10 
emeraldmaster

My Red, scaring me the first houndred times, will let himself be suched to the side of the filter. It is set all the way down, almost to a stop. It is so weak that it barely sucks his fins. He'll just lay there, when he wants to move, it is no effort at all to swim away. My other betta, Kelso, will lift his dorsal fin as if to say, warning, I am about to flare. Then he flares.
emeraldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote