Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #1 
Bigj713281

Easy to take care of tank mate

Since I have a 5gallon tank I think sushi needs a friend or two I usually get 2 ghost shrimp when I go to petco and they usually last about 2 weeks I was thinking 2 dwarf frogs but idk how hard are they to take care of snails are out of the question they're too dirty IMO
Any suggestions
Bigj713281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 
Hershey

Snails are really the only thing besides 1 ADF. Is the 5 gallon long? Just heavily plant the tank and have hiding spots and a betta could live with an ADF. they aren't difficult to keep, but they love to dig and hide. They need food like frog bites or frozen bloodworms though. And if your pet store sells ACF'S you'd have to QT your little frog for 3 months.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #3 
Bigj713281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Snails are really the only thing besides 1 ADF. Is the 5 gallon long? Just heavily plant the tank and have hiding spots and a betta could live with an ADF. they aren't difficult to keep, but they love to dig and hide. They need food like frog bites or frozen bloodworms though. And if your pet store sells ACF'S you'd have to QT your little frog for 3 months.
Do snails actually make that much of a mess and I'm really scare since the adf are passive eaters I may starve them

Btw my tank is the top fin 5.5 tank
Old 12-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #4 
Hershey

Smaller snails don't, if you only have 1, you should be okay. The frogs know how to kind their food pretty easily.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #5 
ollief9

I don't think 5 gallons is big enough to house a Betta with other fish, but if you upgraded to 10 gallons you could have the Betta with some other small fish - I would recommend 4-6 Harlequin Rasboras, which are small, pretty and peaceful fish. Here is a care sheet for them.
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 AM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would only add one ADF.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #7 
flyingpony22

I had dwarf frogs for years. They just eat little pellets. You could probably even get away with feeding them the same pellets that you feed you betta.
flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 
PaintingPintos

One thing I'd like to add--
If your ghost shrimp are only lasting 2 weeks, either your betta has lots of fun with them or you're doing something wrong.
My ghost shrimp, all three of them, when living with my betta, had plenty of live plants and decorations to hide in. They were only in a 3 gallon tank but with their air stone they flourished and had crystal clear bodies. They ate pellets from the surface and also cleaned up the moss ball, using their little claws to poke through it.
Also shrimp are supersensitive to copper, so if you've got copper in your water, it's surely murdering them.
They like their Ph between 7-7.8 so above or below could take a toll on them.
Ghost shrimp live 1-2 years, so if it's just the Petco's poor quality care of them that's making them weak, don't buy them.
The rule of thumb is a healthy ghost shrimp is crystal clear and actively moving around, eating, and preening itself.
A sick shrimp will have a pinkish or white tint and will be listless and motionless, in hiding.
Molting also kills them if there are water quality problems (my favorite shrimp died this way). HOWEVER-- if your shrimp suddenly disappears without a trace, or you just find an exoskeleton, chances are it molted and is in hiding, waiting for its skin to harden. One of my shrimp disappeared for about 3 weeks and I re-found him by digging up all of the gravel....as it turns out he was hiding underneath the under gravel heater.
Fun things shrimp are, and they're well worth keeping if they're healthy.
Other than that, I don't really suggest many animals for a 5 gallon because of limited plant space and oxygen.
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 PM   #9 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
If your ghost shrimp are only lasting 2 weeks, either your betta has lots of fun with them or you're doing something wrong.
My ghost shrimp, all three of them, when living with my betta, had plenty of live plants and decorations to hide in. They were only in a 3 gallon tank but with their air stone they flourished and had crystal clear bodies. They ate pellets from the surface and also cleaned up the moss ball, using their little claws to poke through it.
Also shrimp are supersensitive to copper, so if you've got copper in your water, it's surely murdering them.
Ghost shrimp live 1-2 years, so if it's just the Petco's poor quality care of them that's making them weak, don't buy them.
The rule of thumb is a healthy ghost shrimp is crystal clear and actively moving around, eating, and preening itself.
A sick shrimp will have a pinkish or white tint and will be listless and motionless, in hiding.
Molting also kills them if there are water quality problems (my favorite shrimp died this way). HOWEVER-- if your shrimp suddenly disappears without a trace, or you just find an exoskeleton, chances are it molted and is in hiding, waiting for its skin to harden. One of my shrimp disappeared for about 3 weeks and I re-found him by digging up all of the gravel....as it turns out he was hiding underneath the under gravel heater.
Other than that, I don't really suggest many animals for a 5 gallon because of limited plant space and oxygen.
I had one of my first shrimp do that... Disappeared for what felt like forever, and then just waltzed out of the substrate one day.
Some bettas definitely like to mash shrimps... I lost a couple that way, before I gave up on having them clean up in there.
Although, the same nasty Blue that mashed those poor shrimps has been living with a guppy fry for two weeks (Methinks he finally just gave up on trying to catch it) and it's still alive.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #10 
Bigj713281

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
Well I would see my betta trying to attack the ghost shrimp I've never seen him actually tackle him. When I find them dead they're usually white and curled up