Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #11 
lexylex0526

Here's my story:

Last January I was at Walmart with my family buying some water conditioner when I noticed they had about 7 hardly filled cups with bettas in them. Three were dead and the rest looked extremely sick. One particularly caught my eye, she was a very small vt and she was laying on her side covered in her own feces. I knew I had a spare 1 gallon at home so I bought her.

I released her into her tank not knowing what to expect. She was tiny and brown and looked slightly out of place in her new colorful home. She ate like she had never had food before and stayed near her heater as if she didn't know what heat was. I named her Pebbles.

I still have her today, and she is my little princess! She is a beautiful blue and red, and she has a ton of personality!!

I would agree Walmart is horrible to their fish, but luckily mine doesn't sell them anymore!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #12 
hannah16

There is a petition against wal-mart to ban betta sales. It's for 100,000 signatures and I think with that many, they'll stop selling fish all together. If anyone is interested, I'm attaching the link because I'm tired of seeing dead fish being eaten by the living sick ones.

In IL, they weren't the BEST with the fish, but they at least took DECENT.... barely decent, care of the fish. The bettas normally didn't have dirty water, but it's been a year, so it could be better or worse.

http://www.change.org/petitions/walm...-of-betta-fish

Please sign it, every signature counts.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #13 
lexylex0526

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
There is a petition against wal-mart to ban betta sales. It's for 100,000 signatures and I think with that many, they'll stop selling fish all together. If anyone is interested, I'm attaching the link because I'm tired of seeing dead fish being eaten by the living sick ones.

In IL, they weren't the BEST with the fish, but they at least took DECENT.... barely decent, care of the fish. The bettas normally didn't have dirty water, but it's been a year, so it could be better or worse.

http://www.change.org/petitions/walm...-of-betta-fish

Please sign it, every signature counts.
I signed!!
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #14 
hannah16

Great! Pass the link on through FB if you have one =]
Old 12-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #15 
Hershey

Well, I got 2 Ct's from one of my wal-marts, (we have 2 nearby.) One of them is Cabanela, but the green and red one had a big open wound and didn't make it. Recently We swung by and a few of the Ct's were having a hard time breathing, dirty water and clamped fins. All Cabanela has is bloat (which I'm treating.)

I just think they should care more. I got a few of my sorority girls and they were fine. I actually think my petco is worse (but this is a wal-mart thread.)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #16 
hannah16

It's any type of rant on a petstore. Mine was just walmart.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #17 
sunstar93

(I signed)
So I went today to Walmart to pick up bleach and vinegar (long story...basically i need it to clean out a tank) and wanted to just look at the pet section. Oh. My. Lord.
There was a cup with 2 DEAD BETTAS IN IT!! Someone had thought it would be funny to put them together and both of the boys were dead and still flared out...I nearly started crying and I don't ever cry at anything. And there were 3 other dead ones and their water was atrocious. I flagged down an employee I know works in the pet section and showed her the cups, especially the one with the two boys, and she just shrugged and said "yeah, we don't have time to do that right now". GAH!! Infuriating! I put their cup and about 4 others in the sink...I couldn't stand to look at them any more. Another girl walked by and saw three dead plecos in the goldfish tank and told the same lady and she told her, again, that they don't have time and that it was time for a water change.

Another time I went and they had a pleco munching on a dead gourami and a ghost shrimp sitting on a gourami SKELETON...makes me sick.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #18 
Hershey

Well, petco is where I got masami but he died the next day. Their fish were swimming on the side and most of them seemed scared. The healthy ones were more expensive. And all I saw was bloodworms in their cups.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #19 
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
(I signed)
So I went today to Walmart to pick up bleach and vinegar (long story...basically i need it to clean out a tank) and wanted to just look at the pet section. Oh. My. Lord.
There was a cup with 2 DEAD BETTAS IN IT!! Someone had thought it would be funny to put them together and both of the boys were dead and still flared out...I nearly started crying and I don't ever cry at anything. And there were 3 other dead ones and their water was atrocious. I flagged down an employee I know works in the pet section and showed her the cups, especially the one with the two boys, and she just shrugged and said "yeah, we don't have time to do that right now". GAH!! Infuriating! I put their cup and about 4 others in the sink...I couldn't stand to look at them any more. Another girl walked by and saw three dead plecos in the goldfish tank and told the same lady and she told her, again, that they don't have time and that it was time for a water change.

Another time I went and they had a pleco munching on a dead gourami and a ghost shrimp sitting on a gourami SKELETON...makes me sick.
-shudder-
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #20 
whiskandbowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
(I signed)
. I flagged down an employee I know works in the pet section and showed her the cups, especially the one with the two boys, and she just shrugged and said "yeah, we don't have time to do that right now". GAH!! Infuriating!
This just makes my blood boil! Make some time, these are live animals you are supposed to be caring for! Ugh

Thankfully my Walmart hasn't had any bettas the last few times I've been there. Their cups are usually semi clean, but I'm sure most of them die before being sold.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote