Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #1 
Butterfly

HIGH ammonia, high nitrite?

Hi guys,

So my tank has been cycling for a little while now. In the past few days, the nitrite has spiked up like crazy. I believe it's off the charts now(purple fuchsia). The ammonia level looks very close to 8...so I'm worried the cycle is going to stop because the ammonia is out of the 4-5 range. Should I remove the shrimp? The nitrite only shot up after the ammonia got high. I haven't tested the nitrate yet. Should I do that?

As always, thank you for the help :)
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

BIG water change is needed! Have you not been doing water changes? If you have anything in the tank you need to keep the ammonia & nitrites below .5 preferably below .25. What size tank? I would do at least a 50% water change. Retest the water an hour or so later & do another 50% water change because your ammo & nitrites will probably only be cut in 1/2 from your original tests. Yes if the readings are too high your cycle can stall. You'll probably have to do water changes or multiple changes in a day for the next few days. IF you remove all inhabitants you can let the ammo stay at 4 but you still need to bring the nitrites down some. I would check for nitrates because that'll tell you if your cycle is progressing as it should. Are you using strips or a liquid water test? I hope this all makes sense if not ask & I'll clarify.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Do a large water change and adding aquatic plants will help. Adding semi-aquatic plants to filter helps.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #4 
Butterfly

Oh sorry I forgot to mention I'm doing the fishless cycle. There's a decaying shrimp in there. I'm using a liquid water test and would never let the ammonia get high if there were living things in there :) There's an amazon sword and a moss ball in there, but they're doing fine.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
Oh sorry I forgot to mention I'm doing the fishless cycle. There's a decaying shrimp in there. I'm using a liquid water test and would never let the ammonia get high if there were living things in there :) There's an amazon sword and a moss ball in there, but they're doing fine.
OK that makes sense. Yes I would remove the shrimp, I think you said the ammo was at 8? Test the water in 24 hrs to see how much the ammo has dropped if at all. Keep us posted. Also you can test to see if you have nitrates.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

EcoBio blocks help cycling.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #7 
Butterfly

I tested the water again and the ammonia went down, nitrite is even higher, and there is finally nitrate! I took the shrimp out.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

There's little advantage to running ammonia >4.0ppm---some say >2.0ppm. Nitrite >5.0 can stall your cycle. Nitrate >40 can stall your cycle.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
I tested the water again and the ammonia went down, nitrite is even higher, and there is finally nitrate! I took the shrimp out.
Yay, your cycle is moving along nicely. Don't let the ammonia drop below 1 for more than a day, it'll starve the BB. You're doing good!!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #10 
cbernhard11

how long are you cycling? because I'm pretty sure it is natural during the cycle time (7-10 days) that the ammonia will spike up which then causes the nitrites/trates to spike up.
cbernhard11 is offline   Reply With Quote