Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #21 
Chuckee

I used to feel like WalxMart was the worst of the worst, but yesterday I nearly killed.
There's this store I'd never been into. Petland, they call it. And I walk in for thermometers, and because I'm curious. Very curious, by nature.
So, I find the fish. Unfortunately...
They keep their bettas in cups, 2.5 inches in diameter, 3 inches high. I just measured.
It's awful! Most of the boys were bigger than that. One could barely move, and the rays in his tail are all bent at a right angle where they grew into the plastic. One was completely pine-coned, but not quite dead, and another was in a vase about the size of a PetCo cup, but twice as tall, with an inch of water in it.... Needless to say, he couldn't move either, and I stood there until an employee saw me and asked if I needed help. I said, "Yes. These guys all need water. Now" and he got all defensive and said, "Actually they don't need much water" but added, after I felt my face turn purple "But I'll get them some more in just a minute"
He actually didn't intend to, but I was still standing there when he tried to slide by 10-15 minutes later. I watched him add water for everyone, and he was all surly about it, I wanted to slap him.
But the -one- dragon they had (obviously he was in a vase because he was pretty like that) still couldn't swim. Every one of his fins was so curled that he had no coordination.
I brought three home. Two, because they called to me, and the third because the discount for 3 made him practically free. My boyfriend had to pick him, though. I never bring home fish that don't call out to me... I feel that it's very important never to keep a living being (plants included) that didn't instantly infect your heart. So I was having a hard time choosing who else to rescue when my boyfriend came looking for me, took one look and said "That one"

Last edited by Chuckee; 12-02-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: NO LINKS!
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #22 
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
I used to feel like WalxMart was the worst of the worst, but yesterday I nearly killed.
There's this store I'd never been into. Petland, they call it. And I walk in for thermometers, and because I'm curious. Very curious, by nature.
So, I find the fish. Unfortunately...
They keep their bettas in cups, 2.5 inches in diameter, 3 inches high. I just measured.
It's awful! Most of the boys were bigger than that. One could barely move, and the rays in his tail are all bent at a right angle where they grew into the plastic. One was completely pine-coned, but not quite dead, and another was in a vase about the size of a PetCo cup, but twice as tall, with an inch of water in it.... Needless to say, he couldn't move either, and I stood there until an employee saw me and asked if I needed help. I said, "Yes. These guys all need water. Now" and he got all defensive and said, "Actually they don't need much water" but added, after I felt my face turn purple "But I'll get them some more in just a minute"
He actually didn't intend to, but I was still standing there when he tried to slide by 10-15 minutes later. I watched him add water for everyone, and he was all surly about it, I wanted to slap him.
But the -one- dragon they had (obviously he was in a vase because he was pretty like that) still couldn't swim. Every one of his fins was so curled that he had no coordination.
I brought three home. Two, because they called to me, and the third because the discount for 3 made him practically free. My boyfriend had to pick him, though. I never bring home fish that don't call out to me... I feel that it's very important never to keep a living being (plants included) that didn't instantly infect your heart. So I was having a hard time choosing who else to rescue when my boyfriend came looking for me, took one look and said "That one"
Very sad. :c
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #23 
Chuckee

I feel the need to add that our 3 nearest WalxMarts aren't too bad with their fish. Honestly, I have been into some that made me sick, but these ones are clean, albeit bare. There was an incident at one where the heating system went out in the middle of the night and the shock killed most of the fish, but they had it all cleaned up, plus set up hidey-holes for the stressed out fish that had to live through it, when i went back, like, 5 hours later (curiousity, you see?)
And I know two of the employees at the little WalxMart up the road, who love fish. One I knew before she got the job, and the other I met while he was in the process of quarantining and treating two fish. Most actual pet stores don't even bother with that!!
The other one is the worst of the 3, but they have less tanks and variety, too. And they're still not too bad.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #24 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Very sad. :c
I was so angry I wanted to cry. I don't cry, but I was so close to it.

I'm very into Life. I grew up completely immersed in It. There weren't any other kids around, except my brothers. There weren't even usually adults around. So, when I have to confront the POV that "It's just a fish/plant/animal/bug" I get so angry and jaded.
It's alive. Many of them even more so than human beings, despite "our" need to see ourselves as #1 Species. We're pathetic next to -many- species. And that is why we're so disgustingly selfish. It hurts to be reminded of that.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Petco keeps Fiddlers in freshwater.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #26 
hannah16

Wow. Well, today I had to run back to walmart because one of the products I purchased wasn't working. (Went late for nothing) and stopped to look at the goldfish. Their were many dead ones, and the smaller one Ryukin ? goldfish, had like... skin from from there eyes in large bubbles.. I've seen GF with large eyes but these didn't look right. And the last 5 times I've been to Walmart they've had the same dead fish in the tanks.

My boyfriend was really disgusted and told the manager he was fed up with seeing dead fish. Remember that pink/purple VT I mentioned in the beginning of this thread? Alex couldn't leave him. He told the manager to bag him up and we'd take him. So, now we'll have 3 babies when our other fish from Polu arrives. He seems healthy, vibrant even. So I hope he makes it. I really do.

Does anyone know Walmarts fish policy? I think it's 3 days right?

Edit: He wasn't in a cup, he was in one of those plastic containers they hook on the side of the tank when pulling fish out to bag 'em up. I don't know why.... but that is why he was bagged.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

My Petco used to keep applesnails and goldfish together.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #28 
a123andpoof

My walmart is so up and down with there fish care. When they get new shipments everyones water is cleaned. And sometimes even more often then other times it goes weeks. But I find all my best boys and girls there. I feel sorry for all the females though as they usually only have wild types, so they don't get bought to often.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Wild type lucky.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #30 
a123andpoof

Well wild coloring.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote