Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

I think like dogs there are no true hypoallergenic cats. There are just ones that shed less, have less fur etc.

Our oriental has only a very short coat, but it tends to shed a lot because he is kept indoors. So you always have lots of little hairs everywhere. Our siamese is the same although her fur is slightly thicker.

Also I have found Siamese and orientals are notoriously prone to health issues leading to a very expensive cat. And a good breeder is going to be charging more than $150. I would never own another Siamese or oriental cat after the experience I have had with them unfortunately.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #12 
Bsalem05

There's no such thing as a hypoallergenic Cat.. the allergies are mostly cause by enzymes in cat saliva that dries and becomes "dander"
Best way is to groom your cat regularly and bathe them regularly too.
If you start young they become pretty accustomed to it.. my 2 aren't happy with baths but don't make much of a fuss either and always feel good afterwards.

as everyone has been saying I would take your dad to an environment that has cats and see how he does.

also adopt from a shelter.. theres so many cats/kittens in need of good homes.. don't worry all that much for a certain "breed" just go with the cat you connect with and they will usually pick you! that's how it worked with my 2.. sort of connected eyes and I was hooked.

Check Petfinder.com most public shelters have their animals on there.

Last edited by Bsalem05; 12-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #13 
Leopardfire

So do you think that it would be ok to get something like a domestic shorthair and groom it and bathe it regularly to keep the dandruff down? I could also use anti allergy wipes to help lower dandruff. Would this be better than investing a lot of money in an expensive breed like an oriental?
Also, wouldn't going to a shelter cause my dad's allergies to flare up far more than they would with just one cat at home? He would be around lots of cats many of which haven't been groomed and bathed recently to eliminate dandruff. This would make it difficult to tell what his reaction would be if it were just one well groomed cat.
Finally, how long does it take for allergies to flare up. Can you tell within minutes of exposure or is it only the next day that you start to feel bad?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #14 
Kithy

The best kind of pet that doesn't cause allergies is one that doesn't shed much. It's the dander people are allergic to, not the fur. Good brushing and vacuuming/sweeping will keep allergy problems down.

Many people think hairless cats will help because well, they don't have hair! But this isn't necessarily true.

My Siamese sheds a lot. Every time he's on my lap he sheds. Our longhair oriental didn't shed much imo. The Maus do and our grey kitties shed a lot.

http://www.cfa.org/client/breedDevonRex.aspx

I've read these aren't too bad for allergies.

Just remember, good brushing and cleaning will keep dander down.

Allergies will usually be pretty quick to flare up. Watery eyes, runny nose, etc.

Going to a shelter will likely cause his allergies to flare up but if he can wear a dust mask while looking at cats, that should help.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #15 
Kithy

Also, be wary of "cheap" pets. Especially when looking at pet stores or from "breeders".
Old 12-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #16 
Leopardfire

I want to adopt a cat from a shelter. My question now is if it's worth it to buy an expensive breed like a rex or oriental that supposedly causes less allergies or if I can just adopt a domestic short hair. From what I've been reading, if you groom your cat regularly and keep it out of the allergic person's room, it can be enough.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah our oriental while not cheap was BYB even though his owner did some showing.

He has bad gingervitis, severe asthma, is severely OCD in his behaviour, has ruined our house with his incessant spraying, has excess cartilage on his stomach and in his throat (only found that out when the vet tubed him) and odd dislocated looking front legs.

He had racked up thousands of dollars worth of medical bills in only two years of life.

So just be careful if you go with a purebred that it is from a reputable breeder (not sure if health checks are required on cats) out of proven and healthy stock.

Our moggies have been a lot hardier in terms of health, but one of our pound cats was purchased as a 18 month old and has to live outside as he is very violent towards the other cats. If you go the pound route, you may want to go for a younger cat as you are less likely to have to deal with behavioural issues.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #18 
Kithy

I think your best bet is to pet the cat and see how much it sheds. All our short hairs seem to shed so much.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #19 
Leopardfire

I am going to get a young kitten so behaviors shouldn't be a problem. Do lower shedding cats cause less allergies? If so, what cats don't shed much and aren't super expensive?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #20 
Phaydra

Take your Dad cat shopping with you. See how bad his allergies kick up. A shelter is a good place to start because there will be many different breeds there.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allergies, cats, hypoallergenic, shorthair