Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #1 
Surferjo

New Betta from Thailand not doing so good.

So I brought my newest addition home this past Wednesday. I did an 4 hour water acclimation to make it super easy on this already stressed fish. Right now I have him in my 1 gal quarantine tank (I wanted him to get his strength back before in introduce him to the filtered Fluval).

After the 1st day he was looking fantastic. Actively swimming, eating well, all in all he looked pretty good for just traveling around the world in a tube of water the size of a large sausage.

I've been doing 50% water changes every other day as I moved some of his medicated water from the packaging he arrived in into his 1 gal tank Temp tank. Heated and holding steady at 76.

On Saturday I noticed he wasn't moving too much (unlike my other 2 Betta's) but he was still eating very well (3 Omega One pellets, twice a day)

Today he is pretty much unchanged. Very little movement and he just hangs out at the top.

Water levels are good, ammonia is almost non-existent. He is still eating but he just doesn't look very well.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Joey

Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #2 
bryanacute

One of my bettas is like that. Non stressed. Eats perfectly fine. Probably just recovering.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

No advice, but your situation sounds just like mine. I brought home a new fish on Thursday. And your description sounds exactly like what mine has been doing today. He eats fine. But he either hides or lies on a leaf near the surface. And he looks like a wilted lettuce leaf. I'm wondering if they just need to adjust to the new water chemistry and maybe also the heat and the new food?

Your new guy is stunning, btw. I hope he's feeling better soon. Keep us posted.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 
bryanacute

Thanks. My avatar is the one with the same situation. When something makes the water shake does he spook or just sit there.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #5 
bryanacute

Never mind. I changed my avatar. Poseidon is the what I call lazy one.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #6 
Surferjo

If i give the tank a tap he will move a little bit but not much.
Surferjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #7 
bryanacute

If I tap the tank my FLIES to the other side.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjo View Post
If i give the tank a tap he will move a little bit but not much.
Same here. Either that, or he drifts off to a different hiding spot. I'm trying to leave him alone, in case he's just stressed out from all the 'new' stuff he's been subjected to.

Also, another thread was just posted that describes a similar situation. She got her fish two days ago, and it's lethargic today. You might want to keep an eye on that thread too, since people may have useful replies. The thread's called "New girl getting stressed or sick?" Here's a link:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....17#post1335717
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #9 
callistra

He may just be adjusting. The water that he came from was probably a lot better for him than what we have.. Probably lower PH and softer, and he's probably now in high ph hard water. What's the Ph of the water? Bettas can adjust to almost any PH. The key is consistency, but some places have extremely hard water and they can't adjust to it. There are places around me with PHs of 9-11 and that would be too much.

When you say almost no ammonia.. What do you mean? No ammonia is good. Even .25ppm can stress fish and while there are no more short term effects, long term it will weaken his immune system and shorten his life.. but since this is temporary and he's going into a filtered system he sounds fine. If you're worried about the filter at all, just stick a sponge on the intake tube. That way he can't get sucked in.

You're over feeding him for the size of the pellets, especially in a little bowl with minimum heat. For Omega One size I would cut back to two twice a day at the most. Most of my guys did well on two in the am and 1 pm. Also make sure to give him one fast day a week.

To be honest his photo looks fine to me..

Last edited by callistra; 12-02-2012 at 11:40 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #10 
bryanacute

He meant there almost is no ammonia.