Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #11 
irishcreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
The ones Bazinga suggested are nice. Close together too. I would also recommend Glendalough in Wicklow, Sky Road in Galway, the Burren in Clare and Ashford Castle/Cong in Mayo (especially cool if you're a fan of the film The Quiet Man).
irishcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #12 
Freyja
Banned

My hubby and I are doing a tour next year. Going to Galway, Dingle Peninsula, Waterford, Cliffs of Moher and back to Dublin for a pub tour. Visiting The Brazen Head and Temple Bar among others.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #13 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcreep View Post
The ones Bazinga suggested are nice. Close together too. I would also recommend Glendalough in Wicklow, Sky Road in Galway, the Burren in Clare and Ashford Castle/Cong in Mayo (especially cool if you're a fan of the film The Quiet Man).
OMG Glendalough on a sunny day is the most beautiful scene I've ever witnessed in my life. Also check out the Powerscourt Estate in Wicklow and the Irish National Heritage Park in Wexford.

If you're near Dublin visit the Kilmainham Gaol for a tour. My great uncle was imprisoned there :P The Guinness factory is also worth a visit (or the Jameson factory), as is Dublin Castle. The Book of Kells at Trinity College is another popular spot, I actually enjoyed seeing the other floors in that building more.

If you make it over to the western coast at all, the cliffs are mindblowing. I mean, they're mindblowing everywhere but there it's more rural and somehow seem more vast.

And if you venture to the northern coast (which I highly recommend!) be sure to tour the Giant's Causeway and Dunluce Castle. And have some stew.

Keep in mind these are all tourist destinations so they're geared toward Americans bumbling around lol. If you want suggestions for non touristy places and hidden gems I have those too.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #14 
AngelicScars

I'm all about historic/scenic places!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #15 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
OMG Glendalough on a sunny day is the most beautiful scene I've ever witnessed in my life. Also check out the Powerscourt Estate in Wicklow and the Irish National Heritage Park in Wexford.

If you're near Dublin visit the Kilmainham Gaol for a tour. My great uncle was imprisoned there :P The Guinness factory is also worth a visit (or the Jameson factory), as is Dublin Castle. The Book of Kells at Trinity College is another popular spot, I actually enjoyed seeing the other floors in that building more.

If you make it over to the western coast at all, the cliffs are mindblowing. I mean, they're mindblowing everywhere but there it's more rural and somehow seem more vast.

And if you venture to the northern coast (which I highly recommend!) be sure to tour the Giant's Causeway and Dunluce Castle. And have some stew.

Keep in mind these are all tourist destinations so they're geared toward Americans bumbling around lol. If you want suggestions for non touristy places and hidden gems I have those too.
Do share the non-touristy and hidden gems. I want to make the most of my trip as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

I am Irish and more proud of it than everyone I know. At all my family get-togethers, I end up singing various Irish folk songs :).
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #17 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I am Irish and more proud of it than everyone I know. At all my family get-togethers, I end up singing various Irish folk songs :).
I love Irish folk songs. I'm actually trying to find the responses for the song Finnegan's Wake.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #18 
ollief9

Éirinn go brách!

Sadly I'm not from Ireland but I think it's beautiful and the language is fascinating. Flights are very cheap from England so I'd love to visit sometime :)
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #19 
irishcreep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Do share the non-touristy and hidden gems. I want to make the most of my trip as well.
My best advice would be to make a very loose itenerary, rent a car, drive, and pull over to check stuff out that looks interesting. The island is chock full of beautiful and ancient sites. I lived out in the countryside, far away from any tourists, and I could walk to 2 carved Neolithic megaliths, a Viking-era roundtower and a gorgeous secluded lake in a 30 minute walk. And my property had the remains of a Bronze Age ringfort on it. I'm not bragging, I'm just letting you know that when you're in Ireland, anywhere in Ireland, you're only a stone's throw from something old and beautiful. Take your time, stop and smell the roses, talk to the locals and don't get stuck with a tight schedule. Best advice I can give.

PS- Dingle is great. Lots of Gaelic speakers.

Last edited by irishcreep; 12-05-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added postscript
irishcreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #20 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishcreep View Post
My best advice would be to make a very loose itenerary, rent a car, drive, and pull over to check stuff out that looks interesting. The island is chock full of beautiful and ancient sites. I lived out in the countryside, far away from any tourists, and I could walk to 2 carved Neolithic megaliths, a Viking-era roundtower and a gorgeous secluded lake in a 30 minute walk. And my property had the remains of a Bronze Age ringfort on it. I'm not bragging, I'm just letting you know that when you're in Ireland, anywhere in Ireland, you're only a stone's throw from something old and beautiful. Take your time, stop and smell the roses, talk to the locals and don't get stuck with a tight schedule. Best advice I can give.

PS- Dingle is great. Lots of Gaelic speakers.
My husband and I actually considered doing just what you suggested but decided against it since it is our first trip. What a shame! I'm going to have to schedule a second, lenghtier trip to Ireland .