Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #11 
ktlelia

Update:
Rosemary was still kick'n when I got home.
She was swimming towards me and about a bit when I came to her tank, but of course went back to the bottom hiding behind a base of a plant. Now she looks like she's breathing quite heavy...this I've never seen...
Now since she doesn't have a 10 gallon anymore and is using this tiny tank, I thought was 4-5 gallons at the least but the more I look at it the more I think it's like...a 3 gallon...how much water changes should I do- without of course causing her to freak out or panic.
And would is be smart of me to clean the 10 gallon tank that her roommate, Izabella is in, just in case there was anything crazy or contagious floating about in there?
ps: Thank you SO much for your helps guys, this really means a lot to me. I do have pictures of Rosemary I took when she was acting normal. I'll try to find them and show her off. Hopefully she'll get out of her hidign spot and I can take a "now" picture.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

I have three gallon tanks. I've read recommendations on this site that there should be at least one 100% and one 50% water change per week.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 12-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:12 AM   #13 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Still sounds like what's going on with my new guy. Clamped fins, and either lying on the bottom or in a silk plant leaf near the surface. I did a partial water change just now, and I lowered the water level. I figure this might help him get to the surface easier if it's difficult for him to swim.

I know I keep posting about my newbie on your thread, but I'm thinking that if we both have new fish with the same issues, maybe it's an acclimation issue, rather than an illness. But I don't know that for sure, so you want me to stop posting about my fish, I will.
No no, it's perfectly fine my dear- your little one is important too and if it is the same problem, sickness, whatnot, then you should stay here with us and we'll figure this out together. :)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

Thanks! But when I wrote that, I hadn't seen your update yet. I deleted it after reading your update, because the heavy breathing is something new, and not something my guy has. (I edited it to give water change recommendations for a 3 gal.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #15 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Thanks! But when I wrote that, I hadn't seen your update yet. I deleted it after reading your update, because the heavy breathing is something new, and not something my guy has. (I edited it to give water change recommendations for a 3 gal.)
Ohhh lol, thank you for the tank info- Rosemary is breathing better now- hopefully it was just timing or something or she got frighten beforehand.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Don't worry about doing anything with your other betta in the 10 gallon if she isn't showing symptoms, especially if the tank is cycled. If not then it probably would not hurt.

The lethargy, sitting on the bottom of the tank and rapid breathing are signs of ammonia poisoning, but could also be shock from sudden changes.

Keep her comfy. Give her some clean, warm water and plenty of hiding places and keep her in the dark, and continue to check on her.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #17 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Don't worry about doing anything with your other betta in the 10 gallon if she isn't showing symptoms, especially if the tank is cycled. If not then it probably would not hurt.

The lethargy, sitting on the bottom of the tank and rapid breathing are signs of ammonia poisoning, but could also be shock from sudden changes.

Keep her comfy. Give her some clean, warm water and plenty of hiding places and keep her in the dark, and continue to check on her.
Thank you and I will :)
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #18 
ktlelia

Here's pics of Rosemary.

Before:

Rosemary is pink body, red fin, with light blue here and there which is seen in person but the camera isn't showing it of course.

Now:

She is swimming a lot than yesterday but still clamped and "eh".
Old 12-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

She's pretty. I find it kind of strange that my VT was abnormally lethargic this morning... he was just sleeping behind the filter, not moving at all. Maybe I just woke him up, but it's weird because everyone seems to be having issues with lethargic fish and they aren't able to figure out why...

I hope she gets better and I'm glad she's showing improvement :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #20 
ktlelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
it's weird because everyone seems to be having issues with lethargic fish and they aren't able to figure out why...
I'm almost 99% sure that our fish are trolling us.
Or that I hope they are, haha.