Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #21 
homegrown terror

if they happen to have the same plant available in the actual plant tank, you should get it from there instead (they usually have large supplies of the general standbyes, such as wisteria, hornwort, primrose etc) since they'll usually be healthier than the ones in the tubes.some of them (most swords and ferns etc) you'll have to use the tubes, since they take up more room and therefore more "retail space" and hence usually aren't planted in the tank. steer clear of the "plant bundle" ones, though, they're notorious for having large quantities of non-aquatic or semi-aquatic plants that will do nothing but die and then poison your tank as they decompose unless you're set up to plant them with emerged leaves.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love the look of my Kyoto. One is semi submerged and the other is potted.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 AM   #23 
Bigj713281

So I bought one at petco today and the manager I think told me how I shouldn't have live plants in a 5 gallon tank just a rock or a small driftwood
Bigj713281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There are plenty of plants for a 5 gallon you can have semi submerged plants growing from the lid. You can have Marimo, Anarchis, Crypts, Java Fern/Moss, and ect.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #25 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
i strongly disagree

if you are buying something from someone no matter what it is,they should be able to give you some info on the product. wether you are buying diapers,food,alcohol,fish,plants,a car, a house, whatever you buy its the sellers responsibility to inform you of the ingredients or origins if questioned
I think it's up to the buyer, since it you who is spending YOUR money, to have done some research and not rely on someone else for answers. This works for smaller products, although if you're buying a house or car then yes, the seller should be honest and knowledgeable. Why would I think this? Well, the employee who answers your questions about plants they don't care about brings home 0 dollars whether or not you buy that plant. Plus, they make crap money and have hundreds of animals and products to learn about. They also don't get trained very well for the job.

Now, the guy who has a car to sell you is going to make in one car sale what the other guy would take a week or two to make, usually. Also, they have one product to learn about, cars. I know they're different cars but the Petco employee is expected to know about all the animals and every product they sell. That being said, there are some crappy employees out there who don't care about animals and it's just a job to them. I can tell you from experience that most of what the employee knows is going to have to be learned on their own time and most people don't have an interest in all animals so they will only research animals they like if they do any research at all.

I personally feel that even you're going to buy a house or a car you should research that yourself too. The house will have public records, find them. The car is going to have ratings and reviews, find them. Also, the make and model will have information on the manufacturers website.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #26 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicebox View Post
i just bought a bunch of snails from petco and the guy i spoke to in the store knew everything about them,i allready did research on here and other forums before i went into the store and the guy knew what he was talking about,he said he had many tanks himself for many years,sometimes your lucky u get good people other times u get kids doin part time work with no knowledge of anything but i find u can always tell when someone doesnt know what they are talkin about

Unfortunately, these companies don't pay enough money so they often don't get people with years of experience but people who are desperate enough to work for the pay they offer.

Since they don't pay enough, it's hard to get experience when you can't afford to buy any of the animals since most of the other products are ridiculously marked up.

I spend hours and hours of research and it's hard when one can't afford to gain experience and one is not getting the promised training. The employee usually has to learn all this on their own and don't forget, there's not one perfect way to crack an egg.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I personaly think it is up to the consumer to learn about there product.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #28 
OrangeAugust

Well, the tube of all the plants all said "Aquatic Plant". So how was I supposed to know that they'd sell semi-aquatic plant and label them as aquatic? I know you can't really trust most pet store employees because they've told me dumb things that I knew were wrong, but you'd think the higher-ups in the company would know what they're talking about and I should be able to trust the labeling on what they're selling, but with these plants you can't because they're all labeled "Aquatic", and then when they started melting in my tank I researched them and found out they are not aquatic.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ours say for aquariums and terriums.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #30 
FishFriend9292

I have also had mixed result. Xeek- how funny, i have had exactly OPPOSITE results, LOL. My water wisteria always dies, while my java fern thrives.
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote