Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #11 
Bsalem05

could I add the sponge cartridge along with the current filter cartridge I have and then eventually take the carbon filter out and leave the sponge??
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #12 
Bsalem05

I think I'm just complicating things! lol
On my next water change i'll cut out the media inside out of the cartridge..
Old 12-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #13 
Phaydra

You can just take the carbon out of the filter and keep the floss. If you want to you can even cut sponge to fit back in the area the carbon was.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #14 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
You can just take the carbon out of the filter and keep the floss. If you want to you can even cut sponge to fit back in the area the carbon was.
awesome! I have some extra sponge I can use to do that. =)

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #15 
callistra

I always run carbon on new tanks, just to be safe. There's really no downside to carbon, except for cost upkeep.. they need to be replaced every 1-4 weeks, depending on what the manufacturer states. It's not just a cosmetic things. It will remove any chemicals or nasties in the tank water that may have somehow accidentally gotten in there. Think of the brita water filter so many use.. how doe sit work? Carbon. The carbon cleans your fishes water. That said, it's not necessary when good conditions are present, but I always figure better safe than sorry. I would at the very least always keep some handy in case of an emergency, and I would suggest running it at least a week or two on any new tank.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

How would carbon help a new tank? Would it remove chemical residue from
manufacturing on new equipment? Is that how it would help in a new tank?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #17 
Kithy

While we are on this topic of carbon filters.. I have two carbon filters and have yet to replace the actual filter in months. I didn't know that I would need to actually remove the carbon but this is good to know.

What are some good sponges or other filter media that could keep up with 3 goldfish and a pleco?
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #18 
n3wport

Im watching this thread because I have been on the fence about using my carbon filters, or cutting filter media and putting it in my filter... (or maybe a combo of both?)
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #19 
Phaydra

Sponges act as a mechanical and bio filter. Chemical is not needed as often as the other two.

Most of the cartridges you just make a small cut in the top. I have larger filters that have their pull out own container for carbon and you just pull the top off. My overhead has a bag the carbon goes in.

Yeah finnfinn I run it just for that reason for the first month. You never know what is on the new stuff you get. If it's an empty used tank you just bought you don't really know what's been in it either. I figure better to be safe then sorry.

Last edited by Phaydra; 12-03-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Sponges act as a mechanical and bio filter. Chemical is not needed as often as the other two.

Yeah finnfinn I run it just for that reason for the first month. You never know what is on the new stuff you get. If it's an empty used tank you just bought you don't really know what's been in it either. I figure better to be safe then sorry.
Gotcha that makes sense
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote