Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #31 
sandybottom
Reference Team

my petco has 2 people with a clue about fish but no one could even tell me if they had any java fern. the girl said no. then i went to the tanks and the tubes and found java fern in both.so i bought one of each to compare and found....no real difference they both are a little beat up yet. the one in the petco tube is giving off plantlets like crazy. also i picked up a windelov yesterday in the tube.i ended getting 4 plants off of it. i,ve had great luck with their mixed bulbs. only one didn't grow for me.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:30 PM   #32 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If I remember right plantlets growing off crazy is a sign of bad conditions.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #33 
sandybottom
Reference Team

it can be from acclimation to my tank as the leaves they are on are older and damaged. this is how they divide. they are true ferns and have adapted to reproducing underwater . they still have pores under their leaves. this is normal propagation. have you tried growing java fern? mine looks great except for the older leaves. some people prune them because they look rough but i wanted baby plants first.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #34 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Remember they are very slow growing.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #35 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Remember they are very slow growing.
haha tell that to our java fersn which grew from 3 inches to 15 in three months time!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #36 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Normaly they are evolution might have given yours a mutation that helped growth either that or high nutrients.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #37 
njnolan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Well, the tube of all the plants all said "Aquatic Plant". So how was I supposed to know that they'd sell semi-aquatic plant and label them as aquatic? I know you can't really trust most pet store employees because they've told me dumb things that I knew were wrong, but you'd think the higher-ups in the company would know what they're talking about and I should be able to trust the labeling on what they're selling, but with these plants you can't because they're all labeled "Aquatic", and then when they started melting in my tank I researched them and found out they are not aquatic.
You should do your own research and know what you're buying when it comes to living things that may die but I totally agree that the actual company should have better labels and yes, it should be up to the company to tell you what you're buying. That's pretty messed up that they say that.
njnolan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #38 
sandybottom
Reference Team

they generally sell the same varieties over and over again. there should be more info given to the consumer. either by hand out or even internet. i haven't seen much info about them online. even just a species list would be helpful.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #39 
Butterfly

I don't know what sort of tubes you guys are talking about? xD Pic? At my petco they just have a tank with a bunch of plants submerged. The plants are in little baskets with 'rock wool' or something?
I bought an amazon sword and a water primrose. Kind of pricey mehhh. The water primrose started dying right away. I threw it out. Too fragile -_- The amazon sword is doing okay, though. I really should have done more research into plants before buying them. I'm pretty sure the lighting in my tank does not have the correct voltage for high-light plants. I was too lazy to do a search on my phone. I bought the ones that looked pretty D: Don't do that, definitely do research and list plants you want to buy, then go to the store and see if they have.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #40 
sandybottom
Reference Team

butterfly.at my petco the tube plants are not in the fish area,but next to the nano tanks and accessories. they also keep the mixed plant bulbs in the same place. and amazon swords can do very well in low light applications.