Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #51 
AyalaCookiejar

I also agree with twixies that it's a responsibility, but it's a responsibility that feels more like a hobby. Any animal that you decide to get, you are responsible for caring for. I just think scooping a litter box is a lot less fun than changing tank water... I really can't tell you why xD It's funny because I volunteer with cats and clean litterboxes all the time.

My VT this morning was very strange. He was resting behind the filter. At first I thought he was dead. But I turned the light on and he backed up, and he started swimming strangely in and S shape, kind of like a snake.. But then he kind of started swimming normally again, and I think he eventually went back behind the filter. I had to leave for school so didn't have time to watch him further.

It was weird, though. Maybe I just woke him up from his beauty sleep?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #52 
DragonFish

Oh, of course its a responsibility....any living creature in your care is a responsibility. Just like if you rescue dogs and cats, or you're in some sort of sport with them....its all a responsibility, but in a way its also a hobby because its something that you enjoy and devote part/all of your life to. Doesn't mean all aspects of it are pleasant, but its still a hobby. xD

Another good example is horseback riding. Whether you go out once or twice a week for lessons or have your own horse and compete, its still a hobby.
And trust me, cleaning out stalls and pins and paddocks makes litter boxes seem like a picnic....

Personally I'm a very strange person. I wouldn't necessarily say that I LIKE cleaning up animal poop, but for the most part it really doesn't bother me. Horse, dog, cat, fish, reptile, rodent....I've done them all and, in a way, I sort of like doing all the cleaning partly because of how nice it looks after I'm done and partly because its part of the animals care, and I like caring for things. I figure its the motherly instinct that comes with being a woman.

Hmm....sounds like you may have woken him up, yes. xD I'm afraid I can't offer too much advice based on experience there....my boys are weird. They stay up late with me and are always awake and begging for food the second I get up. xP I've only ever caught one of my bettas sleeping once or twice before.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #53 
AyalaCookiejar

I also noticed a strange pattern on his fins.. it was kind of dark speckles. I'll probably make a new thread since I think we've hijacked this one enough for one day, lol.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
With the walmart brand heaters, some people have luck with them but I personally think it really depends on your room temp and tank size.

While you have a smaller tank, which is easier to heat, your room temp seems quite cold, leading me to believe that the preset heaters will not be able to heat your tank the necessary 15-16 degrees.

So yes, they work for some people and not for others. The adjustable ones generally work for about every tank, as long as you have the correct wattage.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize that this thread had three pages so this is kind of old news :p
Actualy larger is easier to heat.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #55 
Twixies

I think my fish is starting to change color o.o He's starting to have some teal-ish colors on his scales and part of his fins, not sure if it's just reflecting the light, but it shouldn't be light blue colored though since he's mostly red o.o Is the color changes bad? Or maybe he already had those colors, but I just didn't notice them?

Also, he apparently popped all of the bubbles since the last time I saw him, so I'm guessing he's more of a bubble popper than a bubble maker o.o
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #56 
AyalaCookiejar

Smaller is easier to heat if you are talking higher temps. Larger is easier to heat consistently, but a 25 watt heater will not work as well on a 10 gal as it will a 5 gal.

A lot of times bettas change colors throughout their lives. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #57 
DragonFish

+1 with Ayala on both the heating and coloring.

Its also very likely that he had those colors before, but was just too cold and not displaying them. Now that hes in warmer water, hes likely going to color up a little more and start displaying more, brighter colors. ;)
Old 12-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #58 
Twixies

That's so cool how they can change colors XD I will definitely keep an eye on him more to see the color progression (:
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #59 
Twixies

Update: I just saw it flare o.o At first I thought it was some sort of weird condition that he had, since the part in front of his side fins just opened up, and I was like what just happened? Then I tried the mirror trick again to see if he would flare since now he got warmer water, and he opened that part again, it's like he grew a beard o.o Sorry, I'm just trying to process what just happened... I'm totally speechless right now and I can't seem to close my mouth...

[Edit]: I have never seen it flare before just now, so this is a bit shocking since I've never seen what it looks like
Old 12-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #60 
DragonFish

Haha, Awww, cute! Congrats on the first flare! :)