Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #11 
dragon tamer

the bumping into the glass is a trained behavior from some external source probably your feeding patterns. it's called stereotypic behavior and in this instance is likely in anticipation of a feeding. it could also be a response to some visual stimulus that is different now because the distortion of a rounded glass has been removed and she sees things differently. I'm betting on the stereotype and the change in the boundary shape has changed the behavior pattern a bit so it looks new to you.

see if she does it when you are not present if no then it is in anticipation of a feeding she's begging

if it is then look for visual stimulus in the direction she is looking when she is doing it find the stimulus remove it and the behavior will disappear
dragon tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #12 
OrangeAugust

My female gets breeding stripes, but they're not there all the time. She doesn't act any different, though.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #13 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon tamer View Post
the bumping into the glass is a trained behavior from some external source probably your feeding patterns. it's called stereotypic behavior and in this instance is likely in anticipation of a feeding. it could also be a response to some visual stimulus that is different now because the distortion of a rounded glass has been removed and she sees things differently. I'm betting on the stereotype and the change in the boundary shape has changed the behavior pattern a bit so it looks new to you.

see if she does it when you are not present if no then it is in anticipation of a feeding she's begging

if it is then look for visual stimulus in the direction she is looking when she is doing it find the stimulus remove it and the behavior will disappear
She still does it every now and then when I'm not nearby, but it's more often when I'm close. But the thing is she doesn't just do it on the glass wall facing me, she does it on the sides as well. I have also noticed she's more violent with her food. I've been feeding her more than enough, but when she gets a pellet she flails it around and spits it out and runs at it, repeating this a bit before finally nomming on it.
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #14 
dragon tamer

if it's a behavior based in a feeding response this makes sense. do you feed fro the same spot every time or do you vary the location and time that you feed? Is the tank she's in now larger in surface area or volume ? If it is the change to a healthier environment may also be affecting her energy level. Larger surface area and volume equals better water quality and gas exchange.
dragon tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

It is also known as glass surfing. Which is pretty harmless. All my fish squish their noses and dance for me at the front of the glass - especially Janey who thinks she aught to get the whole bottle of fish food.

Some of my fish will display the vertical stripes on their cheeks, or sides, or both, when they are in the presence of another gender, or just when they are feeling as fine as wine. Mine usually pose, dance, flare, dart about, explore, etc.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #16 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon tamer View Post
if it's a behavior based in a feeding response this makes sense. do you feed fro the same spot every time or do you vary the location and time that you feed? Is the tank she's in now larger in surface area or volume ? If it is the change to a healthier environment may also be affecting her energy level. Larger surface area and volume equals better water quality and gas exchange.
I went from a 1.8 gallon to 2 gallon. And instead of being short round and wide, it's tall narrow and flat sided. It also has more plants in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
It is also known as glass surfing. Which is pretty harmless. All my fish squish their noses and dance for me at the front of the glass - especially Janey who thinks she aught to get the whole bottle of fish food.

Some of my fish will display the vertical stripes on their cheeks, or sides, or both, when they are in the presence of another gender, or just when they are feeling as fine as wine. Mine usually pose, dance, flare, dart about, explore, etc.
Well at least it's not unhealthy. It's just a really weird change in behaviour for her. Quite drastic, y'know?
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, behaviour, mate, mating, weird behavior