Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Do goldfish get lonely?

I just want to know for sure. I wouldlike a gfish tank someday but I would only want one as a pet. Another fish buddy for me lol...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #2 
aemaki09
Member
 
aemaki09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Central, OH
I dont think so.. A lot of them live their lives a lone. I'm sure they would enjoy company but wouldnt know any different without it.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #3 
Kithy
Member
 
Kithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Yes, they do. They like to have social tank mates, generally that are goldfish. But you need to have enough room for them. For one goldfish you need about 20gallons and another 10 for each additional fish.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #4 
psyduck
New Member
 
psyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
I think so.
psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
I'm a bit late to the party, but yes, goldfish do get lonely. After having kept two goldfish in my 55 gal for 7 years, one of them passed suddenly. The other languished for a few days and then died, too. He seemed to be frantically searching for his lost buddy until his last minute. When I acquired another goldfish (single goldfish in a 55 gal) he remained by a tiny mirror I'd placed on the side of the tank because he thought it was another goldfish. He only stopped this and "came out of his shell" when I added another goldfish to the tank. Now they are best buddies.

So while goldfish will be a good fishy buddy for you, they have fishy social needs (unlike betta) that do need to be fulfilled. But having other goldfish in the tank doesn't make them interact less with you. You get a whole swarm of fish greeting you instead of just one.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator
 
Olympia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kingston, Ontario
I demonstrate swarm:
http://s1096.beta.photobucket.com/us...dies1.mp4.html
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, but yes, goldfish do get lonely. After having kept two goldfish in my 55 gal for 7 years, one of them passed suddenly. The other languished for a few days and then died, too. He seemed to be frantically searching for his lost buddy until his last minute. When I acquired another goldfish (single goldfish in a 55 gal) he remained by a tiny mirror I'd placed on the side of the tank because he thought it was another goldfish. He only stopped this and "came out of his shell" when I added another goldfish to the tank. Now they are best buddies.

So while goldfish will be a good fishy buddy for you, they have fishy social needs (unlike betta) that do need to be fulfilled. But having other goldfish in the tank doesn't make them interact less with you. You get a whole swarm of fish greeting you instead of just one.
Could I keep two fancies in a 55 gal? I don't think I would ever want a tank larger than that...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden
Member
 
thekoimaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Could I keep two fancies in a 55 gal? I don't think I would ever want a tank larger than that...
Oh most certainly! You could do three and maybe even four (depending on how high the nitrates climb).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 
Kithy
Member
 
Kithy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Could I keep two fancies in a 55 gal? I don't think I would ever want a tank larger than that...
I have 3 goldfish in a 55gal and it's a bit of keeping up with how much they produce but if you can get a few plants to help with water quality and you don't mind vac'ing up waste ("spot cleaning") it's doable. Two should be okay in a 55 gal just be cautious with over feeding.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Oh most certainly! You could do three and maybe even four (depending on how high the nitrates climb).
Cool :). Even for their whole lives though? Will they grow to their full potential? A couple of 12+ inch fancies would be a magnificent sight :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lonely betta... fishman1126 Betta Fish Compatibility 13 05-10-2012 09:03 PM
Mrs. Lonely swishytail Betta Fish Compatibility 4 10-04-2009 11:55 PM
MY BETTA IS LONELY! L86010G Betta Fish Compatibility 2 10-01-2008 06:31 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.