Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Do goldfish get lonely?

I just want to know for sure. I wouldlike a gfish tank someday but I would only want one as a pet. Another fish buddy for me lol...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #2 
aemaki09

I dont think so.. A lot of them live their lives a lone. I'm sure they would enjoy company but wouldnt know any different without it.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 AM   #3 
Kithy

Yes, they do. They like to have social tank mates, generally that are goldfish. But you need to have enough room for them. For one goldfish you need about 20gallons and another 10 for each additional fish.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 AM   #4 
psyduck

I think so.
psyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I'm a bit late to the party, but yes, goldfish do get lonely. After having kept two goldfish in my 55 gal for 7 years, one of them passed suddenly. The other languished for a few days and then died, too. He seemed to be frantically searching for his lost buddy until his last minute. When I acquired another goldfish (single goldfish in a 55 gal) he remained by a tiny mirror I'd placed on the side of the tank because he thought it was another goldfish. He only stopped this and "came out of his shell" when I added another goldfish to the tank. Now they are best buddies.

So while goldfish will be a good fishy buddy for you, they have fishy social needs (unlike betta) that do need to be fulfilled. But having other goldfish in the tank doesn't make them interact less with you. You get a whole swarm of fish greeting you instead of just one.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I demonstrate swarm:
http://s1096.beta.photobucket.com/us...dies1.mp4.html
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:32 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I'm a bit late to the party, but yes, goldfish do get lonely. After having kept two goldfish in my 55 gal for 7 years, one of them passed suddenly. The other languished for a few days and then died, too. He seemed to be frantically searching for his lost buddy until his last minute. When I acquired another goldfish (single goldfish in a 55 gal) he remained by a tiny mirror I'd placed on the side of the tank because he thought it was another goldfish. He only stopped this and "came out of his shell" when I added another goldfish to the tank. Now they are best buddies.

So while goldfish will be a good fishy buddy for you, they have fishy social needs (unlike betta) that do need to be fulfilled. But having other goldfish in the tank doesn't make them interact less with you. You get a whole swarm of fish greeting you instead of just one.
Could I keep two fancies in a 55 gal? I don't think I would ever want a tank larger than that...
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Could I keep two fancies in a 55 gal? I don't think I would ever want a tank larger than that...
Oh most certainly! You could do three and maybe even four (depending on how high the nitrates climb).
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #9 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I have 3 goldfish in a 55gal and it's a bit of keeping up with how much they produce but if you can get a few plants to help with water quality and you don't mind vac'ing up waste ("spot cleaning") it's doable. Two should be okay in a 55 gal just be cautious with over feeding.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Oh most certainly! You could do three and maybe even four (depending on how high the nitrates climb).
Cool :). Even for their whole lives though? Will they grow to their full potential? A couple of 12+ inch fancies would be a magnificent sight :)