Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #1 
bethyMT

Umm..I don't think I can sex them!

Hi again. I am totally flooding this forum with questions. I apologize if you're annoyed; I have nowhere else to go with this stuff.

I got a bunch of giant MHPK babies on Friday. They are 10 weeks old. I cannot sex them for anything. I have looked for ovipositors (they all look like they have them), tried to compare finnage (all short), look for little "beards,"(ha ha that's silly) check for aggression (although this can mean nothing), and just about everything except ask them about it, which my husband has suggested. Which may be just as successful as my observations.

The ONLY difference I can see between bettas is in the ventral fins. Some have very long, pointy ones. Others have very short ones. Some don't even look like they have any. Can I use that as criteria for sexing? The two red cambodians which i KNOW are female per the breeder have little ventrals.

It isn't a safety issue, as all aggressive ones will be jarred. However, some of these babies are going to be rehomed by people expecting a certain gender. If that is wrong, there's gonna be some angry people asking me to ship them new bettas for free. Help, if you please!! Thank you a lot.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #2 
bryanacute

Can you put up some pictures of the hardest ones?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Usually sexing one batch is easier than an individual. They should show certain shapes - such as small ventrals vs long ones. Then compare the general form (long body/fin vs short body/fin), - all males should look similar and so should the females.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 
bethyMT

Indjo, that is so incredibly helpful! Thank you!

The only real difference I can see IS the ventral fin length. I can start identifying body types maybe too, now that I have something to begin classification.

I am fairly certain of a few females, based on ventral fin length, size, and behavior (sort of). I can go from there, if ventral fins really can be an indicator.

I just want to thank you, and everybody else on this forum. You are truly helping me SO SO MUCH in this crazy adventure! I'd be lost without you.
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethyMT View Post
Hi again. I am totally flooding this forum with questions. I apologize if you're annoyed; I have nowhere else to go with this stuff.
First off....Ask all the questions you need, that is what this forum is for.
Please don't hesitate to make new threads or worry you are annoying anyone. With that said, I agree with Indjo, that is how I sex mine-the ventral fins being the big tale-tale sign along with body shape. I can even have problems sexing mine sometimes....lol....

Also, as Bryanacute posted...post some pics and maybe we can help that way too....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

I have a male who was a "female" for a while there It can be a nuisance! But we can definitely help you. Pictures would definitely help :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 PM   #7 
bryanacute

I can sex bettas pretty fast.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I'm pretty sure I know who's what for part of my super large spawn. Lots of teal/green males. o_o and very fast growing females.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote