Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 
cbernhard11

South Carolina!

Hello! I'm new to the forum and to South Carolina. My very first betta Tiger (a dragonscaled veil tale) and I drove all the way here from Colorado (husband is in the Navy). I have had him for about 2 years now and he has more personality than some people I've met! Since being here we have gotten a beautiful little Spade Tail girl named Violet and a Crown Tail girl who we still need to think of a name for. (everyone is separated btw)
I joined this forum because just 2 weeks ago we had a happy female community of 3 CT's and a couple otocinclus (my un named ct included). All of a sudden the youngest of the females started hiding and would not move her clamped fins. I posted and got a lot of help but unfortunately it was too late. She had brought home a disease and even though I quarantined everyone it killed the entire tank except one ct. Pretty much the worst 2 days ever.
But now everything has settled down and I'm happy to be a part of this forum

P.S- anyone here live in SC? Husband and I are going to be spending Christmas back in CO and desperately need someone to take care of our bettas. We could bring them to you and we will pay.
cbernhard11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 AM   #2 
LugiaChan

Hi! How long will you be gone for? If you can't find anyone from this post i'd say try a post focusing on that with the title- may attract people from your state ^_^ maybe someone lives in your city <3

Aw, what kind of disease did so much destruction so fast? I want to be prepared for the worst of scenarios. :(
LugiaChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #3 
cbernhard11

We will be gone for about a week and a half :)
From what I can tell its called Columnaris. It was so quick they were all gone in about 2 days :( It started with a discoloration on her back fin that I thought might have been a bruise or injury and by the next day she had white spots and so did another betta. I didn't notice the otocinclus getting symptoms but they were dead too :( The tank was clean and cycled and I don't overfeed so I can only guess it was from the petstore because she was the only newbie to the tank :(
To be prepared I think it would have been good to have some aquarium salt to try treating it with. We recently found a family fishy store that gave us some Betta Revive. Its a little dropper that turns the water blue (you may have seen it in some petstores) It helps fight and prevent diseases and such and I think thats what saved my last female from getting it. I'm probably going to use it on anyone I introduce to the tank for at least a day or two before putting them in just in case now.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 
Hershey

Bettas can go for a while without food. they can even hit the 2-3 week mark.

Hi and welcome!
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbernhard11 View Post
We will be gone for about a week and a half :)
From what I can tell its called Columnaris. It
To be prepared I think it would have been good to have some aquarium salt to try treating it with. We recently found a family fishy store that gave us some Betta Revive.
Ah alright. And yeah, betta fish can survive long periods without food so long you have a heater and necessities (Filter). They even sell those foods that last a while when you need to take a trip though unsure on if they do well with betta. I personally own an automatic fish feeder.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #6 
cbernhard11

automatic fish feeder you say?? That would definitely be something to look into :) that makes me feel a whole lot better knowing they can go about 2 weeks though. How much was the feeder? thanks guys! :D
Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #7 
LugiaChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbernhard11 View Post
automatic fish feeder you say?? That would definitely be something to look into :) that makes me feel a whole lot better knowing they can go about 2 weeks though. How much was the feeder? thanks guys! :D
Depends what kind you're looking for. They invented new ones I want more after the one I have. Mine's bulky and all, I think the new ones were digital. Which would rock my world compared to bulky battery operated rotation which i'm not sure how much food it would give them. At least I think they were digital and awesome. I am a hardcore ebayer though bought my fishfeeder at the local market.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #8 
Bettanewbie60

Hello from South Georgia! welcome!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #9 
cbernhard11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettanewbie60 View Post
Hello from South Georgia! welcome!
Hello!! and thank you!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Nice to meet you..

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.

Enjoy your stay...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote