Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #1 
Mashiro

10 Gallon tank and wanting to plant...

I am completely new to planted tanks. I'd like to setup from scratch, a 10 gallon planted tank.

I'd like to have something soft for my Thai halfmoon betta to rest on. I'd also love to have some color in there. I don't know of any aquarium plants that carry color, but maybe you guys could direct me. :)

As far as lights go, I have a full-spectrum fluorescent light on my 10 gallon hood that came with it when I bought it.

Also, do I need to plant in dirt or can I plant in gravel? Dirt just sounds so messy.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 
babystarz

Dirt does sound messy but I promise, you'll end up preferring the benefits of an NPT over an inert gravel substrate. Also, the dirt is capped with sand so the mess doesn't last long. And the continued nutrients and nitrogen cycle breakdown provided by the dirt make it incredibly valuable to the plants. It means less work for you in the long run, because you don't need to be dosing your plants with fertilizers or root tabs or anything.

There are fewer colorful lowlight plants, but they do exist! Crypts come in some very pretty reds and purples, as do some dwarf lilies. Both are hardy plants that do well without much light. The key to getting these good colors is to have a lot of iron in your substrate.

Java moss is a nice, soft lowlight plant perfect for resting on. My bettas also like to hang out among their java ferns and anacharis :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 
Mashiro

Well, this is where I can get creative!

I love gardening and I make my own potting soil. I have plenty of goodies lying around that I could use. I just need some schooling on what aqua plants need over terra plants.

Far as I know, there's no difference except waterings!
Old 12-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
Well, this is where I can get creative!

I love gardening and I make my own potting soil. I have plenty of goodies lying around that I could use. I just need some schooling on what aqua plants need over terra plants.

Far as I know, there's no difference except waterings!
That's pretty much the only difference! I just buy organic potting mix from Lowe's for my aquariums. Same with my sand. If you're able to make your own potting soil, even better! Aquarium plants like the same sorts of nutrients as terra plants. In fact, my neighbor who grows his own herbs and veggies and I share our soil :P We just buy it in bulk because it's less expensive per pound and we both use the same bag.

I find it very soothing to do the gardening in my tanks, and I think it helps my seasonal affective disorder to have these little natural environments near me all the time.

Last edited by babystarz; 12-04-2012 at 03:07 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 
Mashiro

Righteous. :D
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #6 
Mashiro

Just been reading and getting some ideas. I decided to go the inert gravel and root tabs route for right now and see how I like the upkeep of a planted aquarium in the first place.

I'd love to start with a few anacharis and java ferns and a bit of java moss. I've already got some good natrual driftwood pieces that are on the way.

I'd also like to plant something in my 2.5G Mini-Bow with a 10w Compact Fluorescent.

Planning on posting lots of pics soon to come.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #7 
starrlamia

low light most likely wont be enough for plants to keep their colour, I have purple cabomba that is no longer purple because my light is too low lol.
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #8 
Mashiro

Here's my progress as of now.

I got some Eco Complete substrate.

If there's any tips or information anyone can give me about this substrate, I'd be grateful.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Java Fern and Moss can grow on decorations and Anuibus can grow on Lava Rock and Driftwood.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #10 
Mashiro

Here's what's on the way so far:

Java Moss, Vesicularia dubyana
Java Fern, Microsorum pteropus
Ancharis, Egeria densa
Dwarf Lily Plant, Nymphaea stellata

Driftwood got caught in USPS because I recently moved and didn't realize that the carrier doesn't deliver to my address. :*(

So I'm going to pick up the driftwood today. Plants are arriving Monday.

My 21st birthday is tomorrow and I'll be kickin' it with the fishes, hopefully I'll get some birthday money and upgrade my lighting system to at least 3.6 wpg. Right now it's at it's current 1.5 wpg.

ChoclateBetta, what do you suggest I add for more flora/fauna?