Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #21 
sunlight

my youngest one i bought 6/6/2011 my oldest one about 4. I do 2 x 50% and 1-100% for 1, 2.5 tanks and i do 1-50 and 1-100% for 5 gallons.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #22 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am considering getting a fighter type because they look nice. I wonder if they live long?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #23 
Joytattoo

I had one live close to five years I thought he'd never dye I don't actually remeber if I did any thing out of the ordenary maybe just got lucky
Joytattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You most likely got lucky. I have this odd sense that Carter has a few more years.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #25 
Myates

Life spans can vary greatly, and for many reasons.. even the care they receive as fry/juvies can result in shorter/longer life spans.

Water quality and food quality are the top two in helping to keep them healthy and live longer - even with poor genes, those two things will help keep them healthier. Even still, some are more susceptible to illnesses than others regardless how clean you keep your tank.

One thing to keep in mind is a tank can be too clean - there is a balance that you need to keep in order for the fish to be exposed to certain bacteria and such in order for them to gain resistances to illnesses. Weekly water changes are a must, but it depends on tank size, filter, cycle, tank mates, live plants, etc. Oldfishlady has a wonderful guide that will help you find what works best with your set up.

With using AQ salt, just "throwing some in" won't work - over exposure will cause the bacteria to become resistant to it. Once you are definitely sure there is fin rot, you will want to do the recommended treatment for it. Over exposure of AQ salt (using when not needed) will cause resistance to it, along with possibility of causing kidney/liver damage. Best to make sure he has it for sure and then treat accordingly. Seeing shredded/missing fins normally doesn't mean fin rot. And some report AQ salt can hamper new fin growth.. best to just make sure to keep up on the water changes and feed high protein food to help growth/healing of fins.

It depends on how large your tank is whether or not the 50% weekly is appropriate for you.

So a mix of genes, care given at birth, water and food quality will decide how long your betta lives. There really is no secret, just proper care.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #26 
Indigo Betta

hopefully he was looked after as fry then, i got him from pets at home so he should of had a good breeder

i try to give him the best diet i can but he doesn't like daphnia and i can't find brine shrimp and they don't sell betta pellets here in the uk, so i just feed him on tropical fish flakes and blood worms.
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #27 
Indigo Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaydra View Post
Just take the carbon out of the filter and that will fix your problem. If it's a cartridge just make a small hole in the top and shake it out. You really don't need carbon unless you want to filter out medications.
thanks but i'm not that bothered about the tannin and the filters only got a carbon sponge in it and removing it would mean losing all the good bacteria but when i see a non carbon sponge to replace it with i will
Indigo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #28 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Betta View Post
thanks but i'm not that bothered about the tannin and the filters only got a carbon sponge in it and removing it would mean losing all the good bacteria but when i see a non carbon sponge to replace it with i will
I've had a couple of those. I cut the top of the floss and shale the carbon out. I keep packs of cut to size bio sponges and just cut the size and need and place it in the carbon area. Then there is more surface are for BB and you still have to floss with the BB in it.

Couple of sponge mods I made to one filter I have in the 5g hex. Eventually it will be replaced but I haven't gotten to a shop that cuts acrylic to make him a new top. Make sure you cut it to fit. You don't want the sponge to get squished.

Last edited by Phaydra; 12-04-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #29 
Butterfly

I hope Fred lives at least until 2. I don't know how old he is right now. My friend's friend's betta lived until 2-2.5 I think he said? They just died of old age, not any medical problems. He has a huge set up(BIG BEAUTIFUL planted tank, etc.). I've never met anyone who has had a betta older than two.
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #30 
ANHEL123

my bettas older than 2 years old. The link that Myates posted
wonderful guide is very helpful. So may be give your friend the link to check it out. It always good to find helpful information or learn something new. I learn every day something new on this forum.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
age betta 3