Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #1 
LuckyBlue

Triple Sulfa

ok ... i bought some API triple sulfa.

Please help me with understanding how to use it.

It comes in packets for 10 gallons. So, I will have to partition it. I can put LuckyBlue in in a one gallon or I have the 6.6 gallon that I can fill to anyl
evel up to that.

The directions for a 10 gallon say to add the dose... Then add a second dose 24 hours later.... after 24 more hours change 25% of the water. Then repeat all this 4 times...

Any suggestions please... I really want to help LuckyBlue before it is too late.
LuckyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #2 
Leopardfire

I would put LuckyBlue in the 6.6 gallon and add half a packet of Triple Sulfa to his water. If you want to get very exact, you can pour exactly 5 gallons into the tank so that you have the proper dosage, but putting half a packet of meds 6.6 gallons will be fine too.

Follow the water change instructions that it says on the packet for 10 gallons. They will be the same for a smaller tank since the percentage of Triple Sulfa in the water is the same. It's best to add the meds soon so it doesn't get any worse.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

I would think it would be easier to use the 6 gallon - as it would be roughly 1/2 the packet. However, I have also done it by diving the packet up into 1/4 doses for a 3 gallon tank. It's not exact but it still worked. I used Furan 2 which has the same instructionas as triple sulfa..at least I think it does.

I did:

day 1 - 1/4 of packet
day 2 - 1/4 of packet
100% water change since it was a 3 gallon tank
day 3 - 1/4 of packet
day 4 - 1/4 of packet
day 5 - 100% water change

I would think the 25% water change is for larger, cycled tanks - since thats about what one would be changing out every week. Since my tank was smaller, I did the usual 100%
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #4 
LuckyBlue

Thanks guys. Just wanted to let everyone know that I did start him on the Triple Sulfa and today is my water change day. His is in 4 gallons, I think I will take out half and fill back up to 5 gallons and do 1/2 a bag. I gave him a bit less medicine than it called for just to make sure he didn't have a bad reaction.

Here's the good new! I think he is already looking a bit better. Anyone else looking at him might not think he looks better, but I have been watching him so closely. First, his pectoral fins have been mostly stuck up against his body. Yesterday I noticed them hanging down occasionally and today they are hanging down AND they have a bit of width too them (unclamped a bit) ASLO, his dorsal fins has lifted of his body a bit and also has a bit of width too.

This is why I decided to use medicine even though I was scared. I had a sore on my foot that was taking forever to heal. I finally put an antibiotic ointment on it and was commenting to my husband ... How amazing it is that it could help SO much. Then I thought..hmmm LuckyBlue needs medicine help.

I believe he is on the mend and couldn't be happier.... Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #5 
Leopardfire

I'm glad that your betta is already improving! Even though many people are hesitant to use meds, I find that they work great for curing fin rot.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #6 
LuckyBlue

I'm so excited I had to share.... for the very first time in several months I can see the red coloration on LuckyBlue's pectoral fins!!!!!!!!