Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #1 
zaphekiel

Newbie!

Hey ya'lls. I was referred here after a few tragic betta deaths due to unknown reasons. I am still a bit frustrated, but I am still stuck on bettas since my first had so much personality before his untimely demise.

I have a 5 gal, cycled, filtered, and planted with its resident otocinclus that was unaffected by the same disease that disposed my poor bettas.. 2 which did not last 72 hrs... (not in the tank at the same time, 1st died, then a week later got a 2nd.. and now no betta just my lil'dude oto) I gave up on petstores and hoping new betta to be from the breeder will not have similar issues.

My levels are 0/0/10ppm as per yesterday testing.

Sorry for the mini rant, I was just really upset about their deaths... Anyhoo, I am still looking forward to betta keeping and hopefully I can soon forget the bad experience with the last two betta dudes! I currently live in NC and am a full time med student and when I am not studying I try read all things fishy, knit, take care of my awesome dog, and attempt to cook to feed hubby and myself :)
zaphekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #2 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphekiel View Post
Hey ya'lls. I was referred here after a few tragic betta deaths due to unknown reasons. I am still a bit frustrated, but I am still stuck on bettas since my first had so much personality before his untimely demise.

I have a 5 gal, cycled, filtered, and planted with its resident otocinclus that was unaffected by the same disease that disposed my poor bettas.. 2 which did not last 72 hrs... (not in the tank at the same time, 1st died, then a week later got a 2nd.. and now no betta just my lil'dude oto) I gave up on petstores and hoping new betta to be from the breeder will not have similar issues.

My levels are 0/0/10ppm as per yesterday testing.

Sorry for the mini rant, I was just really upset about their deaths... Anyhoo, I am still looking forward to betta keeping and hopefully I can soon forget the bad experience with the last two betta dudes! I currently live in NC and am a full time med student and when I am not studying I try read all things fishy, knit, take care of my awesome dog, and attempt to cook to feed hubby and myself :)
Hey!
Welcome and let me un-frustrate you a tiny bit:
If those bettas didn't last more than a couple of days after you brought them home from the pet store, then chances are they were already far enough gone that the shock of moving was their last straw.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #3 
Hershey

Welcome!
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Nice to meet you..

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.

Enjoy your stay...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

call lfs and find out when their next shipment is. or look around here for fantastic betta breeders. pick one out with clear eyes,bright colors,no deformaties and one who is alert. if you get the lfs on stocking day you have your pick and they have not been neglected at the pet store for weeks on end. and by all means, take your time acclimating him.especially the babies. i spent about 8 hours acclimating him. i just float their cup and add some of my water a tps. or 2 at a time,over a long period. these fish are already stressed out.they shouldn't have water fluctuations to deal with too, if it can be helped.

Last edited by sandybottom; 12-06-2012 at 01:00 PM.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #6 
zaphekiel

Thanks ya'lls :)

Chuckee: I appreciate the attempt to un-frustrate me, though until I have a betta successfully I will be wary.

Sandybottom: I have ordered from a US breeder and hope to see my new dude next week, so fingers crossed :D
zaphekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #7 
hannah16

Quote:
I have ordered from a US breeder and hope to see my new dude next week, so fingers crossed :D
Order from a breed is fantastic =] I love Polu's bettas!
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #8 
Agility4fun

Hi, and welcome!!
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum I wish you the best of luck with the new Betta !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #10 
Chuckee

Quote:
Thanks ya'lls :)

Chuckee: I appreciate the attempt to un-frustrate me, though until I have a betta successfully I will be wary.

Sandybottom: I have ordered from a US breeder and hope to see my new dude next week, so fingers crossed :D
That's fair
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote