Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #1 
Gehenna

Glue gun silicone safe?

I bought a bag of stones at my local home depot as i intend to build a small stone cave for my betta, and i was wondering if the silicone bars used in the glue guns would be safe to use, and if not what should i use to glue the stones together.
I boiled the stones in aquarium salt for an hour and just left it to cool down and rinsed them with cold water.
Thanks for your help.
Gehenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #2 
sainthogan

I don't think so. That type of glue is not designed to be in the water or around fish. I would worry that it wouldn't hold up in the water and that the chemicals could leach into the water and harm or kill your fish. There is special aquarium silicone that they make especially for aquariums. You can usually buy it at pet stores, if not you can get it online. I'm sure you can find it in tubes or maybe they even make it for glue guns, you'd have to research it and find out. But please don't use anything type of sealant or glue not designed specifically for aquariums, better to be safe than sorry and kill your fish.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't know anything about glue guns..... But I picked up a big tube of Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant at Lowe's recently. It's labeled "aquarium safe" and cost about $4.50. The tube will last me a really long time, too. I'm using it to make all sorts of decorations now, like rock caves, swim throughs and hiding places, etc.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #4 
Gehenna

Indeed.. that's why i am asking, if i am not sure, i wont touch it. But i found out about some silicone i bought (by accident and for use on something else) that is can be used for aquarium sealing and it is non toxic, heh, talk about not reading the back of the package carefully.

But thanks for your answers, and i do a LOT of research about stuff before geting someting into my lil' betta's tank.

Cheers.
Gehenna is offline   Reply With Quote