Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #1 
Jessa24

Feeding: How often is right?

Quick question: So my pet store says to feed my betta fish 4-5 pellets every other day, my betta pellets food says to feed twice a day and then here I have heard once a day everyday....so which one is right? I don't want to overfeed my betta but I don't want to underfeed him neither.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:23 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

It depends on the size of pellets and your preference. Most people here feed every day and fast one day a week. Some will feed 2-3 pellets in the morning and 2-3 at night.
Personally I feed 4 pellets a day, all spread out throughout the day. Once early in the morning, once near noon, once at 4pmish and once at 8pmish.

Don't just feed your fish when they seem hungry, because they will seem hungry all the time, haha.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Depending on what type of pellets you are feeding, 4-5 once a day is fine IMO. Many people like to feed their betta smaller meals more frequently as well, which is also good.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 PM   #4 
Jessa24

Okay because these pellets are itty bitty...really small. I think I am gunna try everyday in the morn and eve and let him fast on Sunday...and see how that does him.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessa24 View Post
Okay because these pellets are itty bitty...really small. I think I am gunna try everyday in the morn and eve and let him fast on Sunday...and see how that does him.
Some people feed up to 8 pellets at a time depending on the size. What brand?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #6 
SinX7

I feed my betta NSL Betta Formula and Omega One Buffet Pellets (I mix them every feed)

3 pellets- 1 pellets - 3 pellets (3 pellets in the morning, 1 around 2-3pm (Either pellets or treats) and 3 at night)
SinX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #7 
Myates

Depends on the quality of the food, and the size of the food and age of the betta and their activity level..

Generally, the better the quality the less they need to eat in order to get the proper nutrition.

It's always best to feed small meals multiple times a day rather than once a day or every other day.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #8 
callistra

The reason people choose to split up feedings is because a betta's stomach is only about the size of their eye. Think about gorging 3 or 4 pellets into that. I find feeding 2 twice a day of average sized pellets (omega one) is a good starting point. Other smaller pellets, like NLS need to be fed more. People choose to fast one day a week to prevent constipation because in nature bettas wouldn't eat daily. You don't need to only feed 50% of the time to prevent it though, so long as you're feeding a good quality protein based pellet.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #9 
Virto

Part of it really is up to your fish. Mine will show no interest in pellets if he's not hungry, which is unusual for an opportunity feeder.

I feed 2-4 pellets per day, once in the morning before work and once when I get home at night.

If the fish eats them very quickly, don't give them more than 2-3 at a time, to avoid overeating. If they let them float for a while it's okay, but take them out if they ignore them for more than, say, half an hour.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

I personally take out uneaten food after five minutes or possibly ten, because I don't want any of it to sink. If it floats for too long the filter sucks it in a pushes it under.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote