Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #1 
RedCassette

Second tank: sorority or a single male?

Hello!

I recently ventured back into aquarium keeping and have absolutely fallen in love with bettas. I got my first, a male red-orange halfmoon on October 31st. Since then, his tank has become a small community tank with 6 neon tetras and a mystery snail. The betta is extremely docile and doesn't mind the company whatsoever.

Anyway, I will be getting another tank for Christmas this year, and I can't decide between going with another boy or taking the plunge and going with a sorority.

I know girls need at least a 10 gallon tank, and should be kept in a group of 4+ with plenty of hiding places to dilute aggression, but is there anything else to it?

Some people have said that sororities can be difficult to manage and dangerous, while others have said that they are fairly safe for all fish involved.

I suppose I'd just like some opinions for my next tank.
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #2 
homegrown terror

i'd say go with a sorority, they're so much fun! just make sure to plant them a veritable forest in there, and you could potentially have 7+ girls in there!
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 AM   #3 
RedCassette

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
i'd say go with a sorority, they're so much fun! just make sure to plant them a veritable forest in there, and you could potentially have 7+ girls in there!
That sounds good. I'm still a little nervous, as I know the girls are bound to fight. Do you suppose a divided 10 gallon for 2-3 males would be a better idea, or easier to maintain?
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 AM   #4 
whatsupyall

At the end, it's really up to you. I find males more intriguing. So I would definitely go with 3 males and split the 10 gallon. Maintenance is probably easier if you have less fish. Less bettas = less waste. However, with the females, you get a whole tank with bettas that can coexists! Still, it really depends on the type of female you get. Veiltails tend to be okay as they are not known to be as aggressive. Plakats on the other hand, should be proceeded with a bit more caution, but still very possible.
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:24 AM   #5 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
At the end, it's really up to you. I find males more intriguing. So I would definitely go with 3 males and split the 10 gallon. Maintenance is probably easier if you have less fish. Less bettas = less waste. However, with the females, you get a whole tank with bettas that can coexists! Still, it really depends on the type of female you get. Veiltails tend to be okay as they are not known to be as aggressive. Plakats on the other hand, should be proceeded with a bit more caution, but still very possible.
all breeds of bettas are aggressive, including veiltails. the only reason PK's tend to be more so is because their short fins make them faster, stronger swimmers. anytime you divide a tank, you're taking a risk. bettas are persistent little buggers, if there's any way around (or over) the dividers, rest assured they'll find it! before putting your fish in a divided tank, i'd house them serarately for observation (and QT as well) to weed out any overly aggressive fish that might need to be housed alone.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 AM   #6 
asukabetta

Some males do not sit well with dividers, because if water gets through, even though they cannot see each other, they can smell their presence. My bettas were impossible to divide because they insisted over and over to find a way through the divider and my plakat did. Though I was observing them, and pulled him away before any harm was done.

It's ridiculous how they manage to find a way through, I don't know how he did it, perhaps it was because he was quite small at the time.

Plus I saw them stressing so, I couldn't do it.

Some people have more success but I guess it is a matter of personality of the betta's. I'm sure my HM eros doesn't care if he is in a divided tank but, being a long finned one, I figure he would love the space.

I find sororities much more interesting because you get to see comunitary behaviour, but it's up to you.

There are really beautiful females out there.

Just remember, divided tank or sorority, you always have the risk of disease transmission.

But I think you should get what you don't have just to change pace XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 12-05-2012 at 02:58 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 AM   #7 
homegrown terror

you could always use acrylic dividers and silicone them in, which is more secure, but remember you have to provide heating and filtration to each compartment.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #8 
Goldie2nd

Huh I want to make a female sorority in a 10g tank. I just cant right now but I will as soon as I can.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #9 
Eggbert

Since you already have a male, I personally would go with a sorority of 4 at first just for the experience. That's gonna be my next project this xmas =D I can't wait!
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #10 
shellieca
Reference Team

IMO, go with a sorrity but I wouldn't do more than 5 in a 10g. I LOVE my sorrity, I have 10 in a 46g. If the tank is set up correctly you shouldn't really have too many problems or anything more than some chasing & fin nipping. When they're initially introduced it could be more severe, as was the case for me once, but you can separate them for a couple to 3 hours & then re-introduce. I would have a back up plan in case someone doesn't settle in. As for a divide tank, not my thing. I know many have success with it but there seems to be just as many who have problems.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
community, docile, female, male, sorority