Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #1 
RedCassette

Divided 10 gallon?

Getting another tank for Christmas (I currently have a 5.5 gallon with a male betta, a mystery snail, and 6 neon tetras who all get along perfectly) and I'm thinking about creating a divided tank for 2-3 males.

I just have a question about the tank set up. If the filter is on one side, will it properly filter the whole tank? I intend to muffle the outflow so it doesn't bother the bettas too much. Also, the heater: would it be best in the middle of the tank so that the heat can spread to either side?
RedCassette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:04 AM   #2 
whatsupyall

Yes, heater in middle and filter in middle. There are really good filtering ideas that can definitely filter the whole tank if the setup is done correctly. However, for simplification purposes, middle is the way to go. If you want to look into good filtration system, there's a great post about a DIY filter system which acts like a barrack/drip system on this forum somewhere. Perhaps you can use the search button or someone can chime in with it. Cheers :)
whatsupyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #3 
RedCassette

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupyall View Post
Yes, heater in middle and filter in middle. There are really good filtering ideas that can definitely filter the whole tank if the setup is done correctly. However, for simplification purposes, middle is the way to go. If you want to look into good filtration system, there's a great post about a DIY filter system which acts like a barrack/drip system on this forum somewhere. Perhaps you can use the search button or someone can chime in with it. Cheers :)
Thanks very much. I'll take a look into that filter setup.

By the way, would three bettas be too much for a 10 gallon?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 
whatsupyall

It really boils down to how often you want to do water change. Less bettas usually mean less water change. However, myself included, I've seen people house up to 5 males in a 10 gallon divided tank. I imagine you can do more if you keep up partial water change.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #5 
RedCassette

I think if I do a divided tank I'll go with two bettas, and then add a third if one really catches my eye and my heart on a later trip to the pet store.

I don't think I would keep more than 3 in a 10 gallon though.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #6 
whatsupyall

Yeah, 3 is a good number. Usually, breeders like myself, we tend to keep our bettas in smaller space due to our limited space and accommodate it by more PWC. However, for hobbyist who enjoy having just a few bettas, more space is better.

Tags
divided ten gallon, filter, heater, how-to