Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #181 
Coppermoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I have said on this thread or forum before, that I believe it to be a very fast-acting and virulent strain of columnaris or at least something very similar.

I agree that I think it may just be how this particular strain/disease actually presents that is causing the grey discolouration to occur on blue fish only.

It would be interesting to see the results of a necropsy. With the amount of medications and toxins most mass-produced bettas seem exposed to during their life prior to purchase it is not surprising that a disease like this would be prevalent.
It is columnaris...traditional med resistant. Distilled water, 1 tsp salt, Triple Sulfa will (so far) get rid of it. Daily water changes, Temp at 78* F and no higher then 80*, bleach nets, containers AND your hands!!! I bleach my hands, then wash them with antibacterial soap.

My 3 guys are recovering nicely! LB has a tail again...it is very short, but it is growing back.
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #182 
Coppermoon

This treatment does NOT work... Everyone is worse then ever. Attempting to send the adults to the lab for confirmation on MY fish. IF they accept them, and once I get the confirmation I will post it. IF it is what I think it is, I suggest that you DO NOT rescue any fish with symptoms!!! IF it is what I think it is, there is NO cure, and bleach doesn't kill it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #183 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermoon View Post
This treatment does NOT work... Everyone is worse then ever. Attempting to send the adults to the lab for confirmation on MY fish. IF they accept them, and once I get the confirmation I will post it. IF it is what I think it is, I suggest that you DO NOT rescue any fish with symptoms!!! IF it is what I think it is, there is NO cure, and bleach doesn't kill it.
I doubt it is what you may think it is.
My crowntail was living in the same tank my previous betta was in. And he had this disease. My crowntail is still alive and well today.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #184 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry to hear the treatment didn't work, Coppermoon. :(
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #185 
Coppermoon

Thanks Sakura. If it is what I think it is (had a fish sent to a lab with another breeder's fish, so I want mine independently tested. I contacted the lab, but haven't gotten a reply. Even under treatment again, they are not getting any better) and it comes back verified, then I'm nuking my entire fish room and starting over.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #186 
Sakura8

Oh lands. That bad? I'm shuddering to think what you think it is.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #187 
asukabetta

I just lost my Blue VT to this disease... I used medicine and aq salt as best as I could but it kept advancing, it's the second time this has happened. I asked a friend to Euthanise him for me Q_Q he will not become another Aquilies victim. I'm so depressed right now... no more blue bettas for me...
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 AM   #188 
LittleBlueFishlets

Could someone please check my thread? My new blue HM from Petsmart died last night. Someone suggested that it was this mystery disease. Symptoms are on page 1. Pictures (before and after death) are on page 2.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=122079

If it was this disease, how do I disinfect everything (tank, silk plants, rocks, clay pots, etc)?

And how do I keep my other two blue bettas healthy?

Thank you.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #189 
RoMay

Someone mentioned inbreeding as being possible. While this may be cause of some outside source inbreeding has been known to cause issues with the immune system. Out of curiosity is there anyway to track which of these bettas came from pet stores, and which came from breeders? If anything else you can maybe find out which one is more likely to be/get infected/inflicted. This is actually very interesting and scary reading about this.

Sorry for all the lost fish, and good luck to those recovering.

Question: It just has came to my mind has anyone tried feeding these fish some garlic oil (food soaked in it at least)? I know it may seem weird but out of everything out there to give a fish garlic is pretty rounded.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #190 
callistra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppermoon View Post
Bleach kills everything.. Maybe it's just highly high contagious and jumping ship somehow. Has anyone tried Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus? Kanaplex is often effective against very strong columnaris that is resistant to everything else. It's rare that Kanaplex won't work on columnaris. Likewise Maracyn Plus is more effective and less resistant. Furan-2 has some potential to work as well, but I wouldn't start with that one. I've seen Triple Sulfa fail with regular columnaris, none the less with this fast stuff. It wouldn't be my first med choice. Likewise, salt has no chance.

Last edited by callistra; 12-09-2012 at 02:10 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote