Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 
Solaris

Unhappy Should I Try Again?

I bought my very first Betta in October! His name was Pavel, a red male veiltail! Due to my trust of pet store "experts", I bought one of those Betta kits for him. A 1/2 gallon.

I felt guilty about it, so I bought him a 1 gallon. (It was all I could afford at the time.) But, within a week, Pavel was dead. It was some sort of fungal infection. It took him in less than two days. There was nothing I could do.

But, I feel horrible about it. I'd had him only two months and I'd managed to kill him. I really miss him and I'd grown to love having a Betta.

I really do want to get a new Betta (in a ten gallon this time), but I guess I'm scared. I'm afraid that I'm going to make a mistake and send another innocent creature to their death!
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

It is not always your fault! Granted I have lost fish, but I learned to realize that when you TRY, you cannot be a bad fish owner. You did try to do do better, you came to this site, you asked for help. THAT is a true fish owner.

If you want to try again, we are here to help you. We will make sure you are all set up beforehand, and ready to go in and get a nice fish! And if any of us are able to ship you some fish we might be able to ensure to get you a healthy fish - or, if you go to a store we can give you tips on the signs of a healthy, happy fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

I lost many bettas in the beginning due to lack of knowledge and hearsay from petstores/ other inexperienced friends and family. I feel guilty but it wasn't "really" my fault technically I just didn't know. I think many of us have been there at some point. When I lost most of my early bettas I was between 12 & 14, that was 13 yrs ago and I don't remember having sites like this available. This site is truly an educational blessing :)...good luck with your future bettas!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #4 
horsyqueen

I say try again. It's not your falt he died.

Chi and Ki both died around the same time and I cried about Chi. I think You should get anouther betta, I got Envy and he made me feel better. The sad thing about pets is that they hardly live as long as you will so your bound to see a few deaths.

Always think positive and i hope you feel alot better soon.
horsyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #5 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
It is not always your fault! Granted I have lost fish, but I learned to realize that when you TRY, you cannot be a bad fish owner. You did try to do do better, you came to this site, you asked for help. THAT is a true fish owner.

If you want to try again, we are here to help you. We will make sure you are all set up beforehand, and ready to go in and get a nice fish! And if any of us are able to ship you some fish we might be able to ensure to get you a healthy fish - or, if you go to a store we can give you tips on the signs of a healthy, happy fish.
Wow you're a gold member. We don't see those a lot. It's hard to stay on topic but you are right. It's not always your fault. And we will all help bettas. Just because they are small, aggressive creatures doesn't mean we're not going to care about them. Who's with me?!
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

-looks- huh you're right I am a gold member

And yes, we will definitely help :) You make a choice, we will help you out. Even if it might not be a great (or bad) choice we will make it work for you, and teach you things most people would never have been taught ;)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #7 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
-looks- huh you're right I am a gold member

And yes, we will definitely help :) You make a choice, we will help you out. Even if it might not be a great (or bad) choice we will make it work for you, and teach you things most people would never have been taught ;)
Yes, we will.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:01 AM   #8 
Butterfly

I really wish I had joined betta forums before I got a betta/did more research. I spent about two hours in petco deliberating whether or not to buy Fred(I did :3) and while I was choosing food for him, I was also doing research on my phone xD

Because of the wonderful people here, I now have a great thing going! Cycling tank, happy fish, GREAT advice, HEALTHY FISH(thank goodness, he just recovered from some parasites). I also asked my friend's friend about where he got his daphnia, and discovered that there was a pet store nearby that carried live food! :D :D :D

I think it's good to know what you're getting yourself into before you commit to buying a betta--something I wish I had done(being informed...cycling the tank before bringing a betta home).

You didn't kill him, it was the fungus that killed him--not your fault. You tried your best and it just didn't work out..at least you know :) -hug- If you want to try again, try again. But this time be informed about your decision and make sure that you have all the supplies before bringing another one home(making sure the temp stays constant, water conditioner, test kit, food, TIME to change the water, $$ to buy medication if the fish needs it). Fred is in a half gallon right now and he's doing just fine(my 5gal is cycling).

Don't be discouraged because of a mishap--it happens. And all you can do is try again :)
Butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #9 
sandybottom
Reference Team

compassionate people willing to learn are the best kind of caretakers. yes, try again, there is a betta out there who needs someone to care for him/her.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM   #10 
Hershey

Yes, you shouldn't give up! You've done research, so giving it another shot is an excellent idea! I didn't give up after my first 3 died, after filter issues, and now, I'm having no deaths and a happy community!
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote