Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #11 
Chuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRegalia View Post
Another thing... sorry if this is skewing too far from my original topic (please alert me if it is and I will stop)-- if Tommy's tail biting has been so much worse in his 5-gallon, then why was he building weekly bubble nests in it when he doesn't tail bite as much in his 1-gallon, but doesn't build bubble nests in it??
Actually, that's a different problem. I have a male like that. He was fine, until I moved a lady into his POV. Now he's a frantic bubbler (He'd made exactly one puny, half-assd one previously) and darts around and shredded his tail and most of his plants.
He remains in the same place, but the female got moved, and he appears to have calmed down. I think he was horny.
Chuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #12 
TigerRegalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
Actually, that's a different problem. I have a male like that. He was fine, until I moved a lady into his POV. Now he's a frantic bubbler (He'd made exactly one puny, half-assd one previously) and darts around and shredded his tail and most of his plants.
He remains in the same place, but the female got moved, and he appears to have calmed down. I think he was horny.
haha!! That's funny about your male. I do not have any other bettas at all though, so I don't know what's making Tommy prefer to build bubble nests in his 5-gallon rather than in his 1-gallon if he seems to stressed out with his daily tail biting in the 5-gallon. Bettas are quite complicated little beings!
TigerRegalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #13 
TigerRegalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Honestly, the bacteria should be fine for months between feedings, I don't think anything is needed for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the tip, Olympia! I will take this into consideration into my final decision for what I'm going to do over Winter Break. I'm going to do some more research, but hopefully I won't end up needing to feed the BB over those 3.5 weeks!!
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 AM   #14 
Chuckee

Quote:
haha!! That's funny about your male. I do not have any other bettas at all though, so I don't know what's making Tommy prefer to build bubble nests in his 5-gallon rather than in his 1-gallon if he seems to stressed out with his daily tail biting in the 5-gallon. Bettas are quite complicated little beings!
Sorry, should've clarified what I meant by posting that. I wanted to share that the similarities (tail-biting, nesting) may be situational parallels.
I was throwing out a possibility that your betta might have been so thrilled or overwhelmed by all the extra space that he went into macho-mode, thinking to prepared.
I don't know where you got Tommy, but it also seems possible to me that his previous experience dictates to him that big tanks = breeding tanks. General consensus seems to be that bettas don't get sold until they've been bred once or twice...
Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #15 
TigerRegalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckee View Post
Sorry, should've clarified what I meant by posting that. I wanted to share that the similarities (tail-biting, nesting) may be situational parallels.
I was throwing out a possibility that your betta might have been so thrilled or overwhelmed by all the extra space that he went into macho-mode, thinking to prepared.
I don't know where you got Tommy, but it also seems possible to me that his previous experience dictates to him that big tanks = breeding tanks. General consensus seems to be that bettas don't get sold until they've been bred once or twice...
Thanks for the info! You make good points that I've never thought about before. I got Tommy from Pet Smart, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has an association between big tanks and breeding. The longer I shop at PetSmart the less I am a fan of it in general.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #16 
Chuckee

Quote:
Thanks for the info! You make good points that I've never thought about before. I got Tommy from Pet Smart, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has an association between big tanks and breeding. The longer I shop at PetSmart the less I am a fan of it in general.
Yeah, I personally dislike Pet/Smart, too. They're not animal friendly, and they're too sales oriented, rather than information oriented.
Petco is hit or miss. Some of their stores are completely pet and person friendly, other ones are... not good.
The one nearest me just got shut down; the store manager was a "dog-trainer" and a Moron. She didn't know anything about any animal that I asked or heard others ask about. I mean, watching her teach her dog class made me walk up to one of the people in it and correct her misinformation.
The next closest one is staffed by almost entirely by people who appear to have major health problems. Nothing against them, but when your cashier is too blind to see which bills you give them, and the person you're trying to ask information from is too deaf to hear you and the one doing a price check for you can hardly move... it just makes it hard to shop there.
But then there's really good ones around here, too. The one by my work is one of the best pet stores I've ever been into!

Last edited by Chuckee; 12-07-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: NO LINKS!
Old 12-09-2012, 06:35 AM   #17 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Olympia's right that the bacteria will last a month or more without dying. It will reach a kind of comatose state or suspended animation which will take several days to recover from (mine took several days).

Feed the tank up to high ammonia carrying capacity before you leave.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #18 
TigerRegalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Olympia's right that the bacteria will last a month or more without dying. It will reach a kind of comatose state or suspended animation which will take several days to recover from (mine took several days).

Feed the tank up to high ammonia carrying capacity before you leave.
This is fabulous news, Hallyx! I was starting to plan to just bring the filter with me to keep it running in Tommy's 1-gallon tank that he'll be staying in over the break (which I didn't entirely want to do since his fins are healing right now).

So, what is "high ammonia carrying capacity"? Does that just mean to dose the tank to a high level of ammonia readings?

My other questions: Should I leave my filter running while I'm gone? Also, once I return from Break, how will I get the BB to recover from their comatose state?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #19 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
So, what is "high ammonia carrying capacity"? Does that just mean to dose the tank to a high level of ammonia readings?
Slowly increase the daily dose of ammonia until you can dose to 4.0ppm and have it zero out in a day. That's about as high as it gets before stalling. Too much ammonia will kill the bacteria. If it's hard to get to 4.0ppm, put additional filter foam in there for larger colonies.

Quote:
My other questions: Should I leave my filter running while I'm gone? Also, once I return from Break, how will I get the BB to recover from their comatose state?
Yes, you have to keep the filter running slowly to flow food to the bacteria. They will slowly start to die. As they do, they feed the rest of the colony. When you return, dose ammonia to >2.0ppm and recycle. With any luck, it should recover in a week. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Hallyx; 12-09-2012 at 11:54 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #20 
TigerRegalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Slowly increase the daily dose of ammonia until you can dose to 4.0ppm and have it zero out in a day. That's about as high as it gets before stalling. Too much ammonia will kill the bacteria. If it's hard to get to 4.0ppm, put additional filter foam in there for larger colonies.

Yes, you have to keep the filter running slowly to flow food to the bacteria. They will slowly start to die. As they do, they feed the rest of the colony. When you return, dose ammonia to >2.0ppm and recycle. With any luck, it should recover in a week. Let us know how it goes.
Thank you so much for the info! I am a little stressed out, though. I am leaving for home this Wednesday, so I don't think I am going to have enough time to do this. I think I am just going to take the filter with me and use it in Tommy's 1-gallon tank over the break. Do you think this is a good option?