Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Formaldehyde in Prime

Yeah so recently I learned that there is formaldehyde in Prime water conditioner. That stuff is bad....After I add the drops to my bucket of clean water I usually stir it with my hand just to mix it up. Should I stop doing this? Should I just add the drops and pour it in the tank? Will it give me cancer? Ahhhh!!!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 
Virto
New Member
 
Virto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Formaldehyde breaks down quickly in sunlight or when bacteria get to work.

Humans metabolize formaldehyde quickly into formic acid, so repeated small doses do not accumulate in the body. It takes VERY little (1oz of 37% formaldehyde solution) to kill an adult human or cause serious upper GI tract damage, but that's a very concentrated solution.

Prime is probably less than 5% total volume.

That's not to say you should chug it or anything, but you have very little to worry about, as the formaldehyde in prime will break down very, very quickly once it's out of the bottle.

Many beauty products and creams/lotions contain formaldehyde. Everyone thinks about specimens floating in jars of formaldehyde, but it has a wide number of everyday uses.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Formaldehyde breaks down quickly in sunlight or when bacteria get to work.

Humans metabolize formaldehyde quickly into formic acid, so repeated small doses do not accumulate in the body. It takes VERY little (1oz of 37% formaldehyde solution) to kill an adult human or cause serious upper GI tract damage, but that's a very concentrated solution.

Prime is probably less than 5% total volume.

That's not to say you should chug it or anything, but you have very little to worry about, as the formaldehyde in prime will break down very, very quickly once it's out of the bottle.

Many beauty products and creams/lotions contain formaldehyde. Everyone thinks about specimens floating in jars of formaldehyde, but it has a wide number of everyday uses.
So it's safe to touch it?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 
Virto
New Member
 
Virto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Yep. Prime won't hurt you if you touch it.

Probably has a warning on the bottle saying not to get it in your eyes or mouth or an open wound, but I didn't really assume you'd be doing those things.

-Kelly
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Thank you for easing my mind :). I did get it in some open skin, but whats done is done.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #6 
Virto
New Member
 
Virto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Elgin, IL
Won't hurt you. It's far too diluted in a bottle of Prime. Your body will metabolize any that may have happened to sneak in.

You're all good.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish
Member
 
LittleBettaFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Australia
I've gotten Prime in my mouth before (I bite my nails so if I get it on my fingers and forget I usually end up with it in my mouth) and I haven't keeled over yet. If you are overly concerned, just use something else to stir the Prime in with or put on rubber gloves when doing water changes.

The one that does hurt to get in open cuts is Seachem Flourish Iron. I've found that stings worst than any of their other products.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Won't hurt you. It's far too diluted in a bottle of Prime. Your body will metabolize any that may have happened to sneak in.

You're all good.
Awesome :). Thank you!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend
Member
 
finnfinnfriend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I've gotten Prime in my mouth before (I bite my nails so if I get it on my fingers and forget I usually end up with it in my mouth) and I haven't keeled over yet. If you are overly concerned, just use something else to stir the Prime in with or put on rubber gloves when doing water changes.

The one that does hurt to get in open cuts is Seachem Flourish Iron. I've found that stings worst than any of their other products.

Huh. I wonder what it is in flourish iron...but anyway if its fine its fine and I can stir it with my hand :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #10 
LeoTheLakerBetta
Member
 
LeoTheLakerBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: You tell me.
I freaked at the title lol. Thought I turned my fish tank into a taxidermy project xD
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much Prime should I use? Chrexis Betta Fish Care 3 06-23-2012 04:09 PM
Prime Sweeda88 Betta Fish Care 3 12-28-2010 11:10 AM
Prime KukaaKatchou Betta Fish Care 3 09-30-2010 12:05 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.