Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

They must've been like O.O I can hardly find jars here, there isn't much use of them in my area. No one breeds here either, not that I know of. /:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

where do you live? (I am NOT a stalker, I want to know D: lol) Here the jars you find are either the older mason jars from second hand stores or outlet stores, with the old glass lids... Or go get ripped off at walmart for dinky jars at 10.00 for 12 if you are lucky.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #13 
LebronTheBetta

Omg, Sena is a stalker!! Lol, JK. :p Hahaha
I live in MD, a very well populated part in fact. I guess I can go to thrift stores, the closest Walmart here is like 40 minutes away, and I don't drive. There's a LFS nearby. Do you think the cups the Bettas come in are big enough? That's my last resort, I just wanted to know.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Hmm, the cups would work if again you made sure to clean them every single day. I was searching for those but found absolutely none! The guy tried to sell me a really really small bowl for 10.00 instead -_- I had to point out it was because I breed, not to home a fish permanently in such a small space.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #15 
Fabian

I use plastic cups to jar them.Get a large pail or tank to store water for the next few days.I refill it everyday.
I use an empty cup and scoop some water,catch the betta with my hand and put them in their cups.Then i clean the old cups,dry it under the sun and store them again.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

The way I did it-back when I cupped my males....

I used quart and pint size canning jars to keep them in. I changed the water every other day.

I set up an assembly line of sorts using 5gal buckets.
One bucket had the like temp tannin stained replacement water
One bucket was the waste bucket
One was the cleaning bucket (just clean/dechlorinated water)

I used an extra large soft meshed net that rested on the waste bucket and poured the Betta in it- then dropped the Betta in the waiting like temp clean jar of tanned water-Rinse and repeat....

On the first Betta-I had an already clean jar waiting to put him in-I rinsed his jar to use for the next Betta in line. I have never had any health issue related to cross-contamination since all mine are healthy to start with and I generally never had any outside/unrelated fish in the fish room or if I did they would be in QT-so I didn't worry about contamination-if that makes sense....lol....

Since I cull hard-I rarely had more than 80-100 jars at one time and the more experience I gained the harder/heavier I culled to get these numbers down further. IMO-quality is more important than quantity.....but that is just my personal opinion....

I kept the jars in my china cabinet with glass doors and this would help to maintain water temp that ranged from 75F-85F depending on the time of year. I kept cards between the jars so they couldn't see each other and water level about 1inch from the top to prevent jumping out-along with a quarter to half dollar size water lettuce (that was swapped out weekly). I moved them from pint to quart based on their growth/size.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Thanks OFL :) lol I didn't expect this...quantity...
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Thanks OFL :) lol I didn't expect this...quantity...
I generally get upwards to 200+ in a single spawn and cull to about 30 by 4 weeks. I rarely have only one spawn going on at one time and even at 30 per spawn it adds up with 4, 5, 6 or more spawns...laffs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

That is true! Lol. Some of the very tiny ones I am thinking of culling. Like... They don't have color, and have barely grown.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #20 
bryanacute

You could double your jars. Fill up one jar so water is about 3 inches from the top. Drain most water out of the old one and use a Aston spoon (carefully) and push the fish into the new one. Also WOW GOLDEN MEMBER SENAHANSLER CONGRATS!
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote