Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #11 
Bar3hooves

I have an idea! The substrate I used was this:

they are pealized rocks from Joannes. Even though they aren't rough and couldn't catch on his fins, maybe they are toxic? The packaging never said anything, only that is was for decor use.

Opinions on this theory?
Bar3hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #12 
Sena Hansler

I avoid any rocks that are porous. They can leak anything! Some home decor items have chemicals inside as well.

You can use vinegar or bleach to clean. RINSE VERY VERY WELL. Dechlorinator is an additive to make sure tap water remains safe... Well water or regular tap water. Well water can have harsh metals while tap water contains chlorine, chloramine and metals. When I lived in Bawlf with well water I still used dechlorinator/tap water conditioner :) check the back of the product to see what all it does.

You should try again. Make sure to have everything ready, and make sure to have an adjustable heater appropriate to the size of the tank. That helps a lot!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #13 
Bar3hooves

Thank you! :) I do have a heater, and I've practiced with it so that I know how to increase the temp slowly with a new fish.

The rocks aren't porous, they are just colored. the coloring isnt coming off in the water(that I can see) but I thought they would still be leaching some chemical into the water.

We took him out of the tank and at the end of his abdomen was a long white-ish strand. Cant tell if its poo, parasites, or what!
Bar3hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Not too sure. Switching to new food can have poo change color like that, and parasites can make poo white as well (usually also clear, like a thin hair strand, and broken up into pieces)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote