Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #11 
JAGalletta

Awesome. !!
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #12 
JAGalletta

Judging by the anal fins, I have a male and a female - the male is the sunset and the female is the black. I should be expecting fry in due time, right? I'm not planning on keeping the fry, so naturally the betta would probably eat them?? AND What other alternatives might exist other than giving the betta a buffet if/when these two go at it?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Female: fan anal fin male: tube anal fin :)

Yes the betta will probably eat them plus so will the parents.

Otherwise you could just give them away, sell them etc
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #14 
hannah16

Is one of them pregnant?
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Be aware they sometimes won't give birth. The female may reabsorb her eggs or fry, depending if she feels the environment is suitable. I have 8 Haiwaii platys and 5 babies.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #16 
Myates

Pushing with it's side is thought of as aggression, kind of like slapping it in the face.

Those three fish in a 5 gallon most likely are feeling confined - they can feel trapped if there isn't a whole lot of room with multiple fish. Usually 5 gallons is recommended for 1 or 2 bettas (divided), rather than a betta + multiple other fish. Make sure you do your weekly water changes and possibly a secondary one mid-week to help control the water quality.. 5 gallons can really only handle so much bio load at a time.

If the betta continues to harass - chase, bump, etc - then you definitely need to either upgrade to the proper size to house that many fish, or place him in a new tank where he won't have to worry about tank mates (some bettas do not like them) nor feeling closed in with multiple fish in a smaller tank.

If you are wanting babies then upgrade the tank to at least a 10 gallon where the platies would be more comfortable, divide a section off with the premade dividers as they have tiny holes, and let the female give birth in that side and remove her to the other once done.. let the babies grow up in the divided section until they are large enough to survive with mom and dad.

Edit: saw where you said the tank was cycled and could hold the bio load - possibly.. but also keep in mind the size of the tank.. there is no 1 inch per gallon rule here, and with bettas being territorial and generally solitary fish... a lot do not want to be with others, and not in a smaller tank with them. Just keep an eye on them, if he views the other fish as not listening to his "threats" about leaving, he may get rougher :(

I know you stated it's all you can afford.. keep in mind, Walmart sells 10 gallon complete kits for $30, for when you can. Good luck with them! They are cute and it's a pretty tank :)

Last edited by Myates; 12-06-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

Plus look for people on here in your area who may have some things they could sell to you for great prices :)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #18 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
Is one of them pregnant?
Can you tell from these photos?
I don't think she is, but I could be wrong - I've only owned her for a little over a week.

(Figured I'd use this opportunity to post some pictures..)

@Myates - I really appreciate your comments. Like you said, I'll upgrade if they don't listen to his warnings (accept him as alpha, right?). I have a webcam on them during the day and they're pretty civil. I understand all of the concerns, but unless I really see any signs of dysfunction developing in the tank, I'd really like to keep this set up for the moment. At this point, however, I already have a heater and filter big enough for a 10 gal, would really only need a new tank, hood, light and perhaps more substrate and plants. Trust me though, I really don't want to see these fish suffer, and if I thought they were in danger, I wouldn't hesitate to act!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #19 
Sena Hansler

Nice pictures BTW You're pretty good at photography :p

Anyways she does not look to be (usually they will be rounder bellied or boxy) however females can retain the male's sperm for a long time. He also may decide he does not want to breed with her. I have that happen in some molly cases, including my balloon mollies where the male had his ONE female and snubbed the rest.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #20 
JAGalletta

Thanks for the photo appreciation - I used to be a freelancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
He also may decide he does not want to breed with her.
She's getting friend-zoned...