Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 
txbettaowner

One very aggressive female just introduced to new tank mates

I had only two Veiltail betta females (Ariel & Emerald) that did great together in a 1.5 gallon tank. Neither showed aggression towards each other. Unfortunately I am leaving for Ohio in a few weeks so I recently bought a 10 gallon tank that has a heater and thermometer and also LED lights when I get the missing part and I also purchased 2 more fish to have a sorority so less aggression (or so I thought). I now have three Veiltail females Ruby (red/white Veiltail), Ariel (blue/green), Emerald (blue/green), and one Crowntail: Sapphire (blue but looks blue/green in picture. After watching them for 30 minutes I noticed that Ruby was being aggressive and chasing and nibbling the other veiltails and crowntail around the tank. I put 6 silk plants in the tank so they have plenty of room to hide. I got told this is normal for betta females to be aggressive for the first day or two then calm down. I am just making sure because I am worried.

F.Y.I. Emerald is the betta hiding in the plant that you can't see her completely.
Attached Images

txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Very normal. I put two together that literally locked onto each other like I'd never seen before & I had to separate them for a few hours then re-introduce. I have 10 living in a 46g, there's some chasing & nipping but nothing major. Bottom line, it never goes away completely but it should lessen & the less dominant ones will learn to get out of the way of the dominant ones. You might spread the plants out more or do multiple groupings, that way they're hiding spots are not on top of each other if that makes sense. Also, is your 10g completely cycled? Just wondering since you said you were going to be going away.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #3 
txbettaowner

what does completely cycled mean?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you running a filter? A cycled tank means that ammonia being produced by the fish is being processed into nitrites which is then converting to nitrates. This happens when there is enough beneficial bacteria built up in the tank & filter media to complete the process. It can take 6-8 wks to cycle a tank. You might want to read this, hopefully the link worked correctly:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #5 
txbettaowner

The tank has a filtration system with 2 filters, LED lighting (when I get the missing part), heater and a thermometer. The current temperature of the tank water is 78 degrees F