Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #1 
TheCheese909

Medications for internal parasites?

I have a CT who has internal parasites. I've tried doing epsom salt baths and it hasn't helped. I'm looking for someone who knows of good medications to use for an internal parasite issue.

I know how to treat, i have hospital tanks and heaters and such, i just want to know of good brands that are safe to use on Bettas. All the medications I have seem to be for external parasites and fungus but nothing internal.

Thanks a bunchies.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IAL helps.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #3 
callistra

Some people will tell you to dose with prazipro, but I find this not to be so effective and treatment typically takes weeks before improvement is shown. It seems treatment for 2 weeks is an absolute minimum but mostly I've seen it take between 3-4. Feeding Metro is a lot faster and more effective, in my experience.

Get some good soaking pellets like Hikari (grain based so they soak up the meds), garlic guard and metronidazole by Seachem. Put a small amount of garlic guard in a cup along with the pellets and let them soak 10-15minutes and feed 2 to 3 twice a day for a minimum of 2 weeks or up to a month and at least 1 week past when it seems he is totally in the clear. Ideally, you need to mix this up fresh every time you feed, but you really have to mix it up fresh at least daily because the meds will lose their effectiveness.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:48 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would stick with new life spectrum and get that one they have that helps with parasites. Like I said IAL is great.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #5 
callistra

NLS helps because it contains garlic which is just naturally anti-parasidic by nature. It however will not clear up a fullly set internal infection. Internal infections just don't go away on their own. They can take a very long time before you notice there's any real problem and by the time it's really causing a problem and is noticeable you've usually got a very intense case on your hands.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I know but the anti-parasite one will help a bit. IAL from what I have read streghens immune system and have read it kills external and internal parasites.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #7 
callistra

While I love and use NLS as my regular feed, unfortunately you can't use NLS to soak because they have too much protein. They don't work for adding meds. I'm assuming you mean the thera a forumla pellets? They are advertised as non medicated anti parasite pellets because of the vitamins and garlic which boost the immune system. It's just a high quality pellet that they've tacked a bunch of words onto the label, not medicine. The betta forumla is better for a betta and has vitamins and garlic as well. Just not all the veggies and stuff since they don't need it. IAL is awesome and it does have some antibacterial properties as well as acting as immune system booster, but won't replace medication for an advanced internal infection.

Last edited by callistra; 12-08-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 AM   #8 
TheCheese909

I'm unable to get my hands on any IAL, though I would love to one day get some for my boys.

Thank you Callistra, I have the NLS Small Fish Formula and the Betta one too, I feed them to my boys in cycle since I have several other Betta foods as well. I haven't yet seen the "medication" one yet, my PetCo doesn't sell every NLS food they make. In my collection of Betta foods i do have acouple Hikari ones as well. I'll try the Seachem stuff and hopefully that will work. I've got no problem mixing his food every day, it's not much of a hassle to me so it's fine. :)

Thanks again!
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean NLS pellet has some stuff that will help. Clean water is always th most important thing.