Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #51 
VictorP

That's a lie. Only melano females are sterile that's the reason you have to breed to a steel blue then back to a melano male to get melanos.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thank you for telling me. When you breed Chocolate like Carter the best way is too breed Yellow to Chocolate you get good Chocolate and Yellow.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:09 PM   #53 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JikoJiko View Post
That is very nice to know...

Does the bent spines come from Interbreeding too much also...? Or is it just from DT genes that are in the genome of the Betta (note: even though the Betta does not have Phenome of DT)

Or is my assumption incorrect....

I understand that DTxDT too much causes that... since you Explained that clearly.... though could there be other factors?

Perhaps me researching this myself might be interesting...
Not really sure. I seldom get them from non DT. But I assume too much inbreeding might cause it - I never inbreed more than 4 generations.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #54 
JikoJiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Not really sure. I seldom get them from non DT. But I assume too much inbreeding might cause it - I never inbreed more than 4 generations.
Well that is quite obvious... lol.. when ever breeding larger animals like Pigeons.. the F1 generation of inbreeding always comes out deformed... Guess the genes and complexity is very complex and very unique.. The larger the animal gets the more deform the F1 will be when inbreeding.... (from my experience IMO)

Betta #3 turning out to be a MALE... Today I see it making a bubble nest.. ITs huge... I think its also because it was around girls so it is getting the male instinct of building a NESt for the upcoming breed... OMG.... O_O

Last edited by JikoJiko; 12-03-2012 at 05:02 PM.
JikoJiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #55 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Indigo do you linebreed?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #56 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Indigo do you linebreed?
I did, but had to start over a few years ago. Now I'm trying again . . . but can't really make up my mind what to specifically work on. I'm currently working on improving my super black. It's not going so good though - somehow there was severe spoon head genes in one of them and is now very hard to breed out.

I'm only up to my 3rd generation -
SB x SB = SB and marbles (spoon head)
SB F1 (marble spoon head) x black orchid = black orchid and matbles (spoon head)
F2 x F2 (F3= spoon head) / F2 x multi (dragon line) (too young to tell) / F2 x new SB (so far failed).

Future breeding :
F2 x DT copper or black dragon
Then mix breed the F3 . . . not sure yet.

I have another line - green/blue dragon. But I don't remember the pairings. There was a King pairing somewhere along the way. But I can't continue that direction. So I'll just concentrate on color instead of size.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #57 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You could have a line of yellows and Chocolate and the occosional cross makes better of both.