Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #1 
daylily

Black sand or gravel?

A few days ago, i tried getting some dwarf Cory cats for my Betta tank, which is a 5 gallon Fluval Spec V. I thought there were so many plants, my betta would not be able to get to them. WRONG. He attacked immediately, and kept it up. So, he is now in a temporary 2 gallon, with a bowl heater till I can go get another 5 gallon for him next week, and get it cycled.

I knew that it was 50/50 on tank mates, and had the temporary tank ready in case I needed it.

When I set up the new Spec V, I was thinking of black sand or small gravel, instead of the natural color pebbles I have now. I have heard that it makes the Betta colors stand out more.

I would like to know, from others who have tried black substrate, if the poo and dead plant stuff shows up "like a sore thumb" on the black? If so, I might want to go with the natural again.

Is there any substrate that works best for betas in planted tanks?

Thanks so much.
Juli
daylily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #2 
Virto

Light colored detritus will show easily on the surface of the sand, BUT it's also very easily removed using a turkey baster.

Black sand can make for a very striking tank - I'm a big fan. Really, you need to worry more about the plants than the fish, in this case, since you aren't considering anything with sharp points or edges, which cut betta fins.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #3 
daylily

nope, no sharp things in the tank! Natural plants, a piece of driftwood that has branches he likes to swim through... it was in the other tank.

Would you recommend black sand or black rounded small gravel?

Funny you mention turkey baster. I had seen that tip a week or so ago - and I was looking for one today at Wal-mart, but did not find one. I'll have to try another store next time I go to town.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I love Black sand.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i like black,but i use play sand. it doesn't show the dirt like white or black do. the black does bring out their colors beautifully
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plants seem okay with sand too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #7 
n3wport

I wanted to use sand so bad, but the bubbles kept it floating, and my betta tried to eat it twice, so I dumped it and got gravel instead, but I've seen on here alot of tanks with black sand, and it looks amazing! my boyfriend's saltwater tank's sand never really looks dirty considering the amount of fish he has in there
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #8 
daylily

N3wport,

bubbles? From?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #9 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylily View Post
N3wport,

bubbles? From?
Oh, just bubbles from a new tank setup, my betta ate a few pieces of sand so I just switched it to gravel because Im a worry wart!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #10 
daylily

Oh, ok!

I plan to do fish less cycle, so would bubbles have time to go away?