Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #31 
AyalaCookiejar

I told my HR director at work about my bettas and how I want to work at a pet store during college lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #32 
Syriiven

I thought about working at a pet store but I don't think I'd be able to keep my temper in check if the store didn't seem humane enough to satisfy me =( Too many kittens scrunched together, and aside from betta fish all those other aquarium fish in huge groups in small tanks....I did think about the possibility of owning my own store where I could make everything more livable. but that would be expensive...and would be real big.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #33 
AyalaCookiejar

Personally I think that since they are going to treat the animals that way anyways, I could always make their conditions a little better even when I'm not on the clock and I could educate customers, especially on fish. The store couldn't be mad because you actually spend more money when you take good care of them. I think we could ALL verify that.

I've spent about $250ish dollars in the past two weeks on silk plants, larger aquariums, salts for just-in-case, heaters (and thermometers), decor, a test kit, better food, a gravel vacuum and a new Betta and I might be forgetting something but I can't remember lol.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #34 
AyalaCookiejar

Scratch that. It's over $300, now.

I went to petco last night and bought Prime, two filters for my two new tanks that my brother gave me, stress zyme, Omega One pellets, a decoration, and some betta bulbs. I was having troubles carrying things. I would have loved to have gotten some actual plants, but we were making stops on the way back and they would have froze in the car. I really don't have any experience with live plants.. and I'm afraid that when the time comes, I won't have the resources to make my new 10 gallon into a planted tank. We don't have much to choose from around here, and I need some really hardy plants because I'd have troubles keeping them alive, lol.

I want to get another male, preferably a halfmoon, for my 4 gallon tank my brother gave me and turn the 10 gallon into a sorority. I'm almost thinking to just give up on the real plants and use silk ones. My resources are short. I'm actually going to have issues finding somewhere to purchase all of my females at the same time.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #35 
Syriiven

I was surprised but our PetSmart had half a shelf designated to females. They didn't mark which tail-types, but they had over twnety females for sale. And I still advice marimo (moss balls), and anacharis (might go by another name) those I think are fairly common and really easy to take care of. Though the anacharis will grow lots, so you'll have to trim it down and throw it into the garbage (not in any water sources). Or share the clippings with other tanks =)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #36 
AyalaCookiejar

I've actually been looking into private breeders but I'm not getting many replies, lol :p

Bahari has decided that he doesn't like the pretty blue on his fins!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #37 
Syriiven

It may come back someday. I wonder if I could find some marble beahviour articles anywhere. What might instigate the changes and what not. be cool if they're like mood rings.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #38 
AyalaCookiejar

That would be cool! I think he'll keep changing. He only has a few tiny spots of blue, now.

I had a sick fish and a sick dog when I woke up this morning. I woke up and DaBaDee was twitching and flashing against tank ornaments and also having lethargic moments when he lays on his side at the top of the tank. I think it's velvet. My dog also was limping slightly. I was planning on beginning DaBaDees salt treatment after school but I had a meeting for work to go to first. Right before I left for my meeting and right after I got out of school my dog was limping and whimpering when he walked and cried when I picked him up, so immediately after I got done with my meeting I took him to the vet.

He has a fever, a pulled or torn muscle in his shoulder, and a bite mark on his tail that's been there for about 5 days was infected, so he got a shot for pain and a shot for anti-biotics. DaBaDee has started his salt treatment now...

So now for the next week I'll be treating my fish with salt and my dog with some pills I got from the vet. I feel so bad that neither of them are feeling so hot :( my dog does seem to be feeling slightly better, probably from the shot for pain, and DaBaDee has already calmed down a bit and stopped twitching and flashing as much.

It's especially scary because I've never had to treat DaBaDee for anything before! He's such a trooper. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of it completely and won't make any mistakes during treatment.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #39 
Syriiven

I am so sorry to hear that D= Salt's good, but did you do the flashlight test to see if there's any shining dust? But yea, salt + warm water = healthier fishy.

I really hope they both get okay though!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

I did and I have been for quite some time. He doesn't look like he has gold specks but he has large shiny gold spots on his gills and over half of his body is rusty colored. He's looked like that for awhile now, but I am 100% sure it is SOME kind of external parasite. He's definitely itchy!