Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
littlegreendog

Bloated Betta fish help!

My female Betta has had a very swollen belly for about three-four weeks now. It seems to be getting bigger as well. At first I thought it was just constipation, so I gave her a few peas over the weeks. She's pooping and acting normal, so I thought now it has to be something else.

At times when she has not eaten for a while, she is pooping clear feces.

What could be causing this? How can I help her?
littlegreendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #2 
littlegreendog

Sorry about the images being so big
littlegreendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #3 
callistra

She has a GI infection. It's either parasite in nature or bacterial. It's hard to tell as the symptoms are identical.

That looks like a 1 gallon heated bowl and unfortunately bettas don't do well in those. Unless you're in a hot area and your house stays above 80 degrees year round, she's freezing and that slows down metabolism and immune system and leads to infections like these. Also, the size makes it difficult to keep ammonia levels under control, which further breaks down their immune system causing them to get sick more easily. Can you fill this out please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

You need to get her in some epsom salts. 1/4-1tsp per gallon, predissolve in some bowl water and then added in.

You're also going to need a good antibiotic. Since she's eating, I suggest feeding the meds. Get some good soaking pellets like Hikari, garlic guard and metronidazole by seachem. Put a small amount of garlic guard in a cup along with the pellets and let them soak 10-15minutes and feed 2 to 3 twice a day for a minimum of 2 weeks or up to a month and at least 1 week past when it seems she is totally in the clear. If she isn't better after a week on this I would switch to Kanaplex directly in the water, not fed.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote