Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 AM   #1 
hannah16

Question Why pet store bettas are so appealing.

So I was thinking today about how much I've spent on my fish thus far including shipping and so on. And I realized, I could have saved A LOT of money because at the petstore, we only pay at most $15 for a fish, no shipping needed.

But, then, you have to think, how much healthier is that breeder betta over the petstore betta? And how much longer will he or she last with proper care?

Speaking from personal experience, I've purchased BEAUTIFUL bettas from Petsmart, Petco, and even Wal-Mart. And with proper care, the majority lasted only a year, and some died right after purchase (Within days) and that's because the petstores don't take proper care of their fish.

And although I'm all for rescues, in the long run, I like purchasing from breeders unless a fish calls to me because I like having healthy fish and it's easier to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Since I've jumped back into betta keeping. I have 1 HM male from Polu, named Dei Vallie. He's a baby and the CUTEST little thing. Health is written across his little marbled body.

I also have Pinkster whom was kind of a gift from my bo and also a rescue from Wal-Mart and is a mostly pink with red wash VT. He's a bit older, maybe a former breeder fish and I don't know how long he'll last but I love him =] He's a wonderful boy.

And now I'm expecting another fish from Polu that is so different. <3 ! Don't have a name yet but I'm sure I'll get something for him.

So over all, I like both petstore and breeder fish, but prefer breeder fish to avoid the heart break when they die so soon =[!

What's your opinion ? Sorry it's so long ! LOL
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:35 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah16 View Post
So I was thinking today about how much I've spent on my fish thus far including shipping and so on. And I realized, I could have saved A LOT of money because at the petstore, we only pay at most $15 for a fish, no shipping needed.

But, then, you have to think, how much healthier is that breeder betta over the petstore betta? And how much longer will he or she last with proper care?

Speaking from personal experience, I've purchased BEAUTIFUL bettas from Petsmart, Petco, and even Wal-Mart. And with proper care, the majority lasted only a year, and some died right after purchase (Within days) and that's because the petstores don't take proper care of their fish.

And although I'm all for rescues, in the long run, I like purchasing from breeders unless a fish calls to me because I like having healthy fish and it's easier to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Since I've jumped back into betta keeping. I have 1 HM male from Polu, named Dei Vallie. He's a baby and the CUTEST little thing. Health is written across his little marbled body.

I also have Pinkster whom was kind of a gift from my bo and also a rescue from Wal-Mart and is a mostly pink with red wash VT. He's a bit older, maybe a former breeder fish and I don't know how long he'll last but I love him =] He's a wonderful boy.

And now I'm expecting another fish from Polu that is so different. <3 ! Don't have a name yet but I'm sure I'll get something for him.

So over all, I like both petstore and breeder fish, but prefer breeder fish to avoid the heart break when they die so soon =[!

What's your opinion ? Sorry it's so long ! LOL
You have a point there, my healthiest fish are from breeders while the store bettas gave me all sorts of problems ): I think poor genetics and care are the cause.

I'll take a healthy betta any day. I cannot handle the loss of a rescue really :/ I tried a few times but it didn't turn out great-- I think I rather get a healthy betta and give them a good life, which in my mind at least it's like another form of rescue.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #3 
hannah16

When I had 14 bettas, they all came from petstores or walmart. Most lived a year, two of them lived for 2 years. It was heart breaking having to go back to the store and pick out a different fish =/... I've learned, I prefer breeder bettas.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #4 
meganlbetta

If you think about it, If you purchase them from the stores, You support those poor genetics in a way because looking it at the business side, you are still buying their product. My next one will be from a breeder. My boy is still really healthy because I got him the day he arrived at the store. I got to go to the back and pick him out as they were putting them in the cups.. Small petstore :P
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #5 
nel3

only 1 of mine are from a Thai breeder, the rest are local pet stores. my dthm didnt last a year but the others are doing fine at. im not the type to get TLC betta but i look more for the colours/tail types i want at the time. i dont bother much with the rescue business as i dont have the space and it doesnt make much a dent given there are hundreds that die in store. i dont disapprove of getting those that need TLC but there are just too many out there for me to do anything personally. if a TLC betta does have the right attributes then id have no issue getting one as long as i have space.

Last edited by nel3; 12-08-2012 at 07:55 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I got this guy from petsmart two days ago! I actually have gotten all my fish from petsmart.
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeautifulBetta123 View Post
I got this guy from petsmart two days ago! I actually have gotten all my fish from petsmart.
Carters a Petco Betta.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #8 
ebettalover963

we're going to see if we can get baby bettas from petsmart so they will have a better chance of living a normal life
ebettalover963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #9 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i call the store and find out when their next shipment comes in. then i pick one up and they look great. i tend to avoid the betta section otherwise. it gives me anxiety and bad dreams.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote