Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 PM   #1 
Okami

Food for a Betta in a community

I have a larger set up with my Betta. For tank mates he has a school of Harlaquin Rosboras, Glass Catfish, and a pair of YoYo Loaches. I have been feeding a mix of ground up flakes, freeze dried shrimp and betta pelletts in the quantaty of a pinch a night. Does this diet sound like every one in the tank is getting something to eat? so far I have had the set up for about a month but the YoYo loaches were a recent addition and they dont tend to be active during feedings. should I keep up with my mix or do something else?
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #2 
bryanacute

Does your betta and the other fish get food? Because sometimes fish can be REALLY mean while feeding.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I was wondering that too. When I had a community tank as a teenager, I started out with my Betta in the community tank (before I moved him to the 1 gallon prison because I didn't know any better). He was extremely aggressive at feeding and the other fishies didn't get to eat anything because he chased them away and then ate all the food. (That was 1 reason I moved him to his own tank, the other was is one of the schooling fish was literally being eaten alive while the Betta was in the tank with them - that stopped when I took him out.)
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 
Okami

well in my tank i see every one getting food. So no, the others are not stopping him from eating. I was just wondering if I should continue with a mix im using or go streight up pelletts that he seems to like the most but I need something that can sink for my YoYo loaches.

Right now im feeding a mix of: Betta Pelletts, freeze dried shrimps, crumbled up flake food
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would have a floating box net him in there during feeding.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #6 
Okami

net my betta into a floating box every time I feed? Wouldnt that get stressful on him?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #7 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
net my betta into a floating box every time I feed? Wouldnt that get stressful on him?
It could yes. If you're not noticing any extra aggression from him during feedings this is unnecessary.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #8 
Okami

He seems to be getting food as much as his tank mates. So I assume I should just stick with what ive been doing.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
It could yes. If you're not noticing any extra aggression from him during feedings this is unnecessary.
It is if you have omnivorous fish in the tank.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote