Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #21 
Kithy

I'm sorry :< Poor thing, you did everything you could. At least he was in a loving person's care once before he passed.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #22 
sandybottom
Reference Team

it looks like his red washed out of him. from the picture, the gray looks to have replaced it. is this correct? if it is this mystery disease. is it brought on by stress or shock? bettas colors are pigment clusters that overlie each other to produce a spectrum of shades . his blue pigments were not effected while his reds were. i've seen pics of the bettas inflicted with this disease, and they appear similar. but this seems like it was caused by water conditions or stress. unless this isn't a mystery disease that only effects the blue bettas, but effects all bettas. could it just be more noticeable in the blue bettas? seems too coincidental.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #23 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
it looks like his red washed out of him. from the picture, the gray looks to have replaced it. is this correct? if it is this mystery disease. is it brought on by stress or shock? bettas colors are pigment clusters that overlie each other to produce a spectrum of shades . his blue pigments were not effected while his reds were. i've seen pics of the bettas inflicted with this disease, and they appear similar. but this seems like it was caused by water conditions or stress. unless this isn't a mystery disease that only effects the blue bettas, but effects all bettas. could it just be more noticeable in the blue bettas? seems too coincidental.
His red is still there. You can see some on his anal and pectoral fins. I only saw the discoloration on the body after death. He turned gray while ill. After death, his blue/red colors returned. However, the dark area on his body was something I had seen until after death.

In his case, yes, he was new, and yes, under stress. But there are many cases of this illness striking bettas that people have had for a long time, so they probably wouldn't be under stress or dealing with water parameter changes.

I've been wondering the same thing about reds. It might be difficult to see discoloration on red bodies. However, many bettas have light bodies. Shouldn't it be easy to see the discoloration on them?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote