Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #1 
hannah16

Angry Shame, Shame Petco...

Today, I went to PetCo which normally I wouldn't do because I like my local Petsmart MUCH more.

Well, I had to stop by the bettas.. they had 45+ bettas of all colors. MANY, if not at least 40% had chewed tails which was heart breaking. I almost walked out with a white dalmation delta (Sheen white) with turquoise/green spots but then I saw this LITTLE cambodian CT female.. and had to get her =/...

Right when I was about to walk out, the cup right next to hers had a even SMALLER!!!!! Blue CT female. And I looked at Alex and he knew he wasn't stopping me from getting them both LOL.

I paid $8.50 something for them both and I hope they make it. They are fiesty, but realllllllllllllllllllllllly small. I'll post pics.

One has stress stripes I think.. SHAME ON YOU PETCO Selling baby bettas like this!

Not to mention I FINALLY saw a SOLID white (NO RED WASH!!!) elephant ear betta. He was HEALTHY. $19.99 though. If anyone wants him, I'll go back and buy him and ship him to you, just pay me back because it's a shame for him to sit in that cup and rot.
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Its really mostly the same with my Petco. Most of the longer-finned ones I see there have clearly started biting, some have finrot, at least a couple always have SBD, and most just in general look pale and listless.....though the cups are often decently clean at least. I think they're just not properly fed and are cold.
But I've found a few lovely gems there, even if they are a little over-priced IMO(as far as fish go, I like my Petsmart better too), and I like the supplies Petco sells and their prices in comparison to my Petsmart so I go in there every once in a while.

I hope your little girls make it! They both sound absolutely adorable, can't wait to see some pictures when you can! I've noticed that both Petco and Petsmart has been selling females WAY young lately actually....

Awww, that boy sounds gorgeous!! Was he an HM or HMPK?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #3 
FishFriend9292

I went today and was about to walk away with a sick with fin rot and swim bladder teal and white elephant ear, but I had nowhere to put it. :( But im pretty sure someone else snatched it up and had a 10 gallon in their cart also. :)
FishFriend9292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #4 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish View Post

I hope your little girls make it! They both sound absolutely adorable, can't wait to see some pictures when you can! I've noticed that both Petco and Petsmart has been selling females WAY young lately actually....

Awww, that boy sounds gorgeous!! Was he an HM or HMPK?
I hope the girls make it too =] They're pretty adorable, I couldn't believe how small they were.

As for the boy, he was a delta tail (at least that's how they priced him) He had minor tail biting. I REALLY wanted him, but I just couldn't leave the girls.

Edit: The delta was a white sheen with turquoise spots (I called him a dalmation). The other white EE was a HMPK. No red wash, I'm surprised he was at the petstore.

Last edited by hannah16; 12-09-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #5 
hannah16

I don't have a lot of extra cash right now, so I baught a 1/2 divided tank for the two since they're babies and will do 100% water changes until I have the money to buy a bigger tank. It's currently bare bottom and they're eating like hogs!

Should I add anything into their tank? These are my first rescues. Thank you so much.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Definitely keep us updated! I know I'd love to hear how they grow and develop, its always fun to watch bettas change over time, especially when you get them so young!

Hmm....you mean the tank is a half gallon and divided? Thats going to be a really difficult upkeep for two fish, even temporarily and even if they're little.....plus, I can't imagine even those little present heaters would fit in there. :/
Because smaller/younger bettas like the babys and small females they've been selling can be so much more sensitiveness and do need a little more care, it would be much better if you got them into something a little bigger ASAP.
Kritter/Pet keepers actually make GREAT tanks if funds are tight, and the medium-large size is big enough for permanent homes. If funds are REALLY REALLY tight, head over to Walmart(or a similar store)and pick up a couple of sterile plastic storage tubs. You can easily get a good 2-5+ gallons for very cheap, just stick a heater and some silk plants in there, poke a few holes in the lid, and instant cheap temporary/hospital tank! Not very attractive, but it'd definitely be better and easier for both you and the girls until you can invest in something bigger.

Aww, that little Delta guy was probably a marble! He sounds beautiful, but I know what you mean. I've passed up many a lovely betta for another; some just really call to you and you just can't leave them behind.
Ahh, that white boy.....it really is SO tempting to take you up on that offer.....I have a spare 5 gallon now, and I was planning on picking up a boy or girl on Christmas Eve.....but an all white(possibly platinum)dumbo HMPK.....UGH, I need more tanks...
Old 12-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #7 
hannah16

Okay, I'll see what I can do about something more spacious for them. So I should add some decor? I have left over plants I could wash and some extra gravel (not a lot) that I could place in the little plastic holders on the base of the plants. As far as a heater, I'm not too worried, the room I placed them in is usually 82* degrees if not a bit warmer since I knew I wouldn't be able to get a heater right now.

If you want the EE let me know, I don't think he'll last long. ( If only I had the room! ) And I'd hate for him to go into an unheated office vase or something along those lines.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Water temperature is usually a few degrees below room temperature, but 82 is pretty warm......I'd say so long as the temp doesn't fluctuate more then a degree or two you should be okay without heaters for the moment. Also, if there is a shelf of some sort in the room, moving them up a little higher will help keep them a little toastier.

Good luck with them! Oh, and as for actual tanks, you can always check thrift stores and Craigslist. I've seen some AMAZING deals on used tanks, definitely wouldn't hurt to take a look. :)

Hmm.....I think I might pass up the EE then, as temping as it is. I do hope for the price they're selling him at someone with at least a heater gets him. xP