Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #11 
Gizmothefreaky

In a ten gallon you can do one betta and two frogs, I would not get a mystery snail. If you want a snail then get a nerite or something small like rams horn or pond snails, though you will have to watch their population, I hope you aren't squeamish about culling snails.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #12 
Leopardfire

I don't think I'll go with snails because I wouldn't like killing any if the population got big. I might get 2 ADFs though since I went on an aquarium calculator and it said that would be fine. It also said that ADFs will eat anything that fits in their mouths so do you think there's a small possibility they would try to eat my betta? She's a tiny female, only about 1 inch long with her tail.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #13 
Gizmothefreaky

The only way they would eat her is if she was like the size of a guppy fry. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #14 
Leopardfire

So I heard that ADFs need a 3 month QT. Is this true, even if the pet store where going them at says they aren't with ACFs? I'm not sure if my dad would put up with more QT tanks around the house. He's already really fed up with all my fish.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #15 
Gizmothefreaky

If you get them from the same place at the same time, you can introduce them right into the tank. The fungus is not contagious to fish.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #16 
Steph211

I definitely recommend Petsmart over Petco. I've had great luck with ADF's from Petsmart. Bought one at Petco, he was small, but otherwise appeared fine. He lasted maybe 3 weeks? Then a couple of weeks later, my other 3 ADFs died during a two day period! It was so sad. I will never buy live fish/frogs from Petco again.

My ADFs have all been fine with gravel. I keep them in a 20g with a male betta and about 6-8 cardinal tetras. I am thinking of adding a pleco as I've been having more algae lately and the tank glass is getting a little cloudy from it. Anyone kept a pleco with ADFs before?
Steph211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #17 
lakemalawifish

We have raised many ADFrogs and I think sand is easier for them because when they go up to the surface for air and plop back down they nose dive pretty fast and just seems like sand is softer for their not so graceful landing. Also, when they start shedding their skin they trash around a lot and I did not want mine to knock into anything that could be sharp to their newly developed skin. They will eat their skin after they shed it so don't freak out. Ours actually laid eggs on the tank glass many times but they never got fertilized so maybe we just had females, not sure. I placed a terra cotta pot bottom (the part that catches water) in one corner of the tank and they knew where to find their food. Also be sure they don't have to struggle too much to make it to the top for air, they are not great swimmers. You can drop the water level a tad to help that. They do need a heater, filter and other things that you normally do for fish, water changes, etc. Hope some of this helps
lakemalawifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #18 
Leopardfire

Thanks for the advice. I'm debating between adding ecocomplete substrate from carribsea or white gravel from petsmart since I have both of these at my house. Also is there a chance that if I got 2 frogs they would have babies that would hatch? I don't want any babies, so I was hoping that my betta would eat the eggs.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #19 
Steph211

If you have a male and a female frog they will mate. Male frogs have small a small whitish yellow bump on their sides behind their front legs. Their front legs are also a bit thicker than females' front legs. Also males will "sing." It sounds like a buzzing, chirping noise. My ADFs mated and I would often find eggs in the tank. Your frogs and any other fish in the tank will eat the eggs. Once, I noticed that some of my frog eggs changed into tadpoles. I bought a breeder net and isolated the tadpoles and some eggs in it. It was very cool to watch the transformation. I had about 10 egg/tadpoles and one made it to an adult frog. So cool to watch! However, I'm sure, had I not isolated those eggs, they wouldn't have made it.
Steph211 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, adf, advice, female betta