Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 
ImStillLearning

Ghost shrimp...

So I recently was doing some cleaning, and found two dead ghost shrimp a few days later that appear like they commited suicide, by jumping out off the tank. Anyone else have shrimp that have jumped out of the tank? Otherwise all my ghost shrimps are doing well! With the exception of two that became food for Sunny and Buddha.
ImStillLearning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:51 AM   #2 
ktlelia

When I had ghost shrimp...they just...vanished. Nothing in the filters, none on the floor, and I didn't have a fish in that tank during that time too. I assumed they got out somehow and got eaten by my cats or aliens.
ktlelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #3 
aemaki09

thats crazy! sometimes when things try to escape your tank it means something is going on with water quality. Shrimp are much more sensitive to the quality of their water than fish are. But its weird that only 2 committed shrimp suicide. Maybe they just wanted to see if the grass is greener on the other side of that wall?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #4 
ImStillLearning

Yeah we have a total count of thirty shrimp, six per tank. And it was weird that we found them, I thought maybe the first one did die the day we were cleaning as I was taking out the plants to give them a clean, and maybe one secretly jumped off the plant and missed falling back into the tank. But then the next day after the water change, there was another one there!

Water temps were good. And quality of water was good also. However none have committed suicide since!

The few that were missing were eaten, but they still had some. Uneaten body at the bottom that we took out immediately.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #5 
aemaki09

hmm yeah then I imagine they probably clung to the plants and you just didnt see the second one the day you found the first?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #6 
ImStillLearning

That's what I'm on the assumption of too!