Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #191 
LittleBlueFishlets

When you say it only affects blue fish, do you mean any of these three colors, or just the first two:
BB - steel blue
Bb - royal blue
bb - turquoise/green

If it only affects steel and royal, is it linked to the "B" gene somehow? Or, if it's not genetically linked to a color gene, then how could it only (or even mostly) affect blues? What's different about them?

(I realize that there may not be any answers to these questions yet, but I figured I'd ask.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #192 
Viva

Wow this is the first time I've seen this thread. Its very interesting...a mystery disease affecting ONLY blue bettas? Or is it just more prevalent in blues? Starting to wonder what killed my blue crowntail a couple years back, he mysteriously fell ill and died in about 24 - 48 hours. Saw no physical symptoms though.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #193 
Sakura8

Furan-2 has been recommended by a good resource to be very effective against columnaris. Kanaplex is a good med but it is not always the best choice for certain kinds of diseases. Triple Sulfa is effective against fin rot that is caused by a certain pathogen.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #194 
Jessa24

Hmm...interesting. Please keep us updated. Makes me wonder about Nemo's death...he was fine and then suddenly died within 24 hours with no physical symptoms. Splash is blue too...Oh no. Now I am worried.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #195 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessa24 View Post
Splash is blue too...Oh no. Now I am worried.
I understand your feeling. My CT is also blue, but so far he hasn't shown any symptoms.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #196 
DenWin2567

Fred is Deceased

So my wife and I woke up this morning to find our betta Fred dead in the water. I don't know what it is, and although slightly different, this is the closest thing we could find, especially the speed of it.

Last night at around 2330 I noticed a dark grey/black spot about an 1/8" diameter under the front of his dorsal. By 0200, when we were going to bed, it had grown to 1/4" and I noticed it had a ring of white surrounding it. I was going to do a 50% tank change this morning, but when I woke up at 1100 I found him floating. Still want to do the research on this. He was a blue betta, had him for about 6 months from PetCo, usually very active though last night was hanging out by the water intake, wouldn't even come up to his feed hole last night. Lightly tapped next to him and barely moved last night. I had just done a 100% water change on Thur and today was supposed to do a 50% today. I'll attach some pictures as well to give a better look, just not sure what it is or how it happened. The main thing is the speed of it seems like what is being talked about here, just a few small differences, like the ring of white and not starting at the fins.

Name:  IMG_20121209_124555.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  46.6 KB
Attached Images

DenWin2567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #197 
Sakura8

DenWin, I'm so sorry. That does sound like our mystery disease because it moved so fast. I'm sorry for your loss. Do you still have the body? You are close enough that you might be able to contact UC Davis and see if they will do a necropsy. You would be reimbursed for this if you have a PayPal account. If you are interested in pursuing that avenue and you still have the body, get it into some formaldehyde as quickly as possible to preserve it. UC Berkeley might be able to do something but UC Davis would be a better choice because of the veterinary school.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #198 
DenWin2567

I would if I could, but my wife already have it a burial. I didn't know the place to take it was so close or I would have done so. She's scared to get a blue one again because of this thread, but next weekend I think we'll look for another betta.
Posted via Mobile Device
DenWin2567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #199 
Sakura8

That's all right, it's understandable to want to bury them right away. I do the same. And I don't blame you for avoiding blue bettas. Good luck with your next betta.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #200 
prodrumernate

has it been linked for sure only to those with blue? havent red any of the comments lately
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote